Tuesday, December 26, 2023

Sew Powerful Purses #183-202 (2023)

I finished these 20 purses to donate to Sew Powerful in December 2023. I am still sewing a few more purses, so I hope to complete several more before the new year begins. I had cut out so many purse kits to have ready to sew during the September Sew-a-thon this year, so I really wanted to finish as many purses as I can before I need to cut more purse kits. 

Here are the 20 purse I completed~

This purse I made using a raw edge technique I came up with. It is heavily quilted and I used tiny scraps, all raw edge batiks on this flap. I couched yarn, added some buttons, and an iridescent material scrap too. I really love making the flaps like this! 

Showing the back of purse with upcycled denim jean pocket
I upcycled denim jeans for the purse body and this is the back of the purse with the front jean pocket. I flipped the flap up so you could see the entire flap, since a bit of it gets hidden on the back when the flap is folded over to the front side.

Closeup of decorative machine stitches sewn to the webbing strap
I also had done some decorative machine stitching down the center of the webbing straps on some purses. I wanted to try doing the stitches to see if it would work and it did! So I stitched up several webbing straps in various colors of webbing and used various variegated thread colors and different stitched designs too as you will se in a few of the purses below.

another upcycled denim purse, including the flap that I made using several scraps of denim in various shades of blue denim and black denim too. 

Closeup of decorative machine stitches sewn to the webbing strap
Another closeup of a decorative stitched webbing strap.

Showing the back of purse with upcycled denim jean pocket
Back of purse also has the front denim pocket for the back.

2 upcycled denim purses here. The one on the left I quilted scraps of denim that was all raw edge to keep it flat as too many denim seams can be a bear to stitch through! Then I added a butterfly that I appliquéd over the quilted denim. It just needed something else and I already had the butterfly appliqué cut out. The purse on the right is patchwork denim scraps sewn with seams and I added some ribbon and even a Levi label!

Closeup of decorative machine stitches sewn to the webbing strap
Closeup of another decorative stitched webbing from the denim purse on the right.

Showing the back of purse with upcycled denim jean pocket
These 2 purse backs have the patch denim pockets added to the back side and I stitched an appliqué heart onto each pocket. 

3 more appliqué flaps of wild animals.

This is a patchwork flap that started with the pentagon shape in the center. Those 3 buttons I stitched on by hand using making a little flower in the buttons with the embroidery floss.

Another patchwork scrappy flap with added heart buttons.

Closeup of decorative machine stitches sewn to the webbing strap
Closeup of another decorative stitch on webbing strap.

These 4 purses are scrappy patchwork and I sewed the flowers in the buttons on all of these as well.

These 3 are patchwork flaps. I added flower shaped buttons that I sewed on 2 of the purse flaps.

Closeup of decorative machine stitches sewn to the webbing strap
Closeup of decorative machine stitches on webbing strap from the one purse below.

Here are 4 purses with an African women print. I used red fabric for the gussets on all 4 purses, since I didn't have enough fabric to use for all the purses of this print. 3 of the purses I had enough to create the front and backs of the purses, but not for the fourth purse, so that body is all red. 


Pin It Now!

3 comments:

  1. 20 more gems. Its like they each have their own personality. Very vibrant and beautiful. of course all you extra touches are adorable. I love how you fussy cut the fabric as well as put your embroidery to add that little something special to each purse. great job as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to end the year! All of your purses have great personality and details. I love the added stitching on the straps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of these are just beautiful. You do such a great job with them! I love all your special additions!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate every one. If you do not hear a reply back from me, it could be that you are a no-reply, or that Google/Blogger has changed something (again!) making it impossible to respond back to you. If you want a reply because you asked a question, please fill out the Contact Form located on the right side of the blog and I will respond to you that way. Thank you for stopping by! I was forced to add comment moderation due to huge number of SPAM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...