Thursday, December 28, 2023

Hand Knit Soap Bags

I wanted and needed some soap bags, so I knit a few to see what I thought of each pattern. Some were knit straight and some were knit in the round. The drawstrings were each made differently too. I like to put those slivers of soap inside the bags so that when you have several in the bag it is like using a bar of soap. However, you can put a full bar of soap in the bags too. These make great gift bags too, whether you put in a bar of soap as the gift or something small.

I used cotton yarn. The first bag was something I already had and the next 3 bags were a small Peaches & Cream cotton yarn ball. All are worsted weight yarn. They all measure slightly larger than a standard size bar of soap.

I had this cotton yarn and it is a soft yarn. This is the same pattern as the last knit bag below, but on this bag, I decided to knit an i-cord drawstring instead (using 3 cast on stitches, but could have used 2 stitches). You have to be a knitter to understand. This one was knit in the round.

This was knit back and forth on 2 needles and not in the round. I liked this stitch. The bag was open on the top and since I will be adding soap slivers, I didn't want anything falling out of the bag. I chained some crochet for the drawstring and wove it into the top of the bag and added a cord stop. I might make some washcloths like this too instead of a bag.

This was a moss stitch (or seed stitch), knit in the round. I made this one last using this yarn, so I had another cotton yarn to finish the top and make a twisted cord for the drawstring with. I nearly had enough of the variegated yarn to make 3 soap bags out of one skein.

This is the same bag as the first one, only in a different yarn. The drawstring was crochet. I decided I much prefer making and the look of i-cord drawstrings, so I would only make i-cord if I make any more of these bags.

I am sure they will all work the same. I wanted to see if I had a favorite one to knit and to use. It will be a while before I can test the use of each one to see for sure if there is any difference. I prefer to knit in the round, but with all of these knit bags, I had to stitch closed the bottom of the bag, except the one knit back and forth on 2 needles. The 2 needle bag was folded in half, which formed the bottom, but I then had 2 sides to stitch up. I think I would have preferred to knit the bottom in the round forming a bottom as I knit and then knit up the height of the bag. Or start at the top knitting in the round and then reduced the stitches to form the bottom of the bag whilst knitting. It would make a rounder bag that way, but maybe that would be better?

These are the free knit bag patterns that I used:
1. Knit (and crochet) Soap Bags The first and last photo from above. ( Note: I didn't add a second color for stripes, since I used variegated yarn).
2. Chain Link Stripes Soap Sack  The second bag photo from above.
3. Soap Saver Knit Bag  Third bag from above.

Happy Knitting!



Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. These are fun. i made some myself. With one of them i used a button closure. i find that i enjoy the ones with the string closure better because you can hurt yourself if you are washing up and then suddenly you feel a button. i also tried making them with cotton as well as with that scrubby yarn that is sold for making into something to clean pots with. they work well i just don't enjoy knitting with that sort of nubby yarn.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate every one. If you do not hear a reply back from me, it could be that you are a no-reply, or that Google/Blogger has changed something (again!) making it impossible to respond back to you. If you want a reply because you asked a question, please fill out the Contact Form located on the right side of the blog and I will respond to you that way. Thank you for stopping by! I was forced to add comment moderation due to huge number of SPAM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...