Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Seven Small Drawstring Bags in Knitting Print Fabric

I wanted to make this cute drawstring bag to give to someone at my Stitch Group. We usually exchange a skein a yarn, but I asked if it would be okay to do something knitting/crochet related instead and she said yes. So I made this cute bag.

My bag measures 6 3/4" wide x 7 7/8" high, but the directions in the tutorial say it should be 7" x 8", so close enough! I used a red print fabric with words on it like Santa, postmarks (which happened to be a St. Louis postmark, my birthplace). I didn't taken into account that the red lining not only sticks up, but is folded over into the lining and that made the lining inside become upside down. Oh well it's a lining and the part that needed to be right side up is fine. So in future, don't use a directional lining fabric, or figure out where I would need to make a seam so that all the fabric ends up being right side up. However, not sure I want a seam in the lining like that, so for now no more directional lining fabric.

I made 2 of these drawstring bags with the knitting print fabric and red print lining. Only the gray casing piece was a different gray print for each bag

The drawstrings pulled to close the bag. I used ribbon and red beads on the drawstrings.

This is the bag I gifted. I also made 2 circular knitting needle holders. I added some point protectors and a couple of handmade hat labels. All fit into the drawstring gift bag. At first a ne woman to the group who doesn't knit (she crochets) got my gift. I said she can trade it with someone else as it wouldn't hurt my feelings and I would rather someone who would use the items get it. So she traded with someone. It turns out that the gift I received was from the woman she traded with so we ended up with each other's gifts. I received a revolving knitting needle holder and a few different skeins of yarn. So all turned out well.

I made 5 more bags using the same knitting print in a more colorful colorway. I varied the lining fabrics and casing fabric for each, so each one looks a bit different. I chose a rainbow colored ribbon for the drawstrings and added beads on the ends too.

All closed up. 

These are small, but perfect for holding small gifts, small knitting tools as well. The only things I didn't do as per the instructions (and this made these even faster to sew), was that I left off the corner accents and I made the drawstrings a bit longer and added beads on mine too. If you want to make a cute little drawstring bag of your own, with or without the corner accents, you can find the free tutorial here, from Apple Green Cottage.

Happy gift making & giving!

Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. you are so nice, they came out beautifully. i love the look of these little pouches. what fun fabric. great job and wonderful detail. the circular needle holders are so handy i use mine all the time.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate every one. If you do not hear a reply back from me, it could be that you are a no-reply, or that Google/Blogger has changed something (again!) making it impossible to respond back to you. If you want a reply because you asked a question, please fill out the Contact Form located on the right side of the blog and I will respond to you that way. Thank you for stopping by! I was forced to add comment moderation due to huge number of SPAM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...