Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Bonnie Bucket Bag

This is the Bonnie Bucket Bag by Swoon Patterns. I wanted to try making this bag, since I have seen a lot of them online from other people and I liked how it looked. As usual, I made some changes to this bag and after making it, I would make even more changes to the next bag too. I really like how it looks and I think it's a great bag for people who want a large bag.

You can make this bag in all one fabric or a combinations of fabrics. I chose to use this bird print and a faux cork material and blended really well. Highly contrasting fabrics would also look good. I chose a darker fabric for the bottom and straps and strap connectors.

Bonnie Bucket bag measures 14" wide x 12" high x 6" deep. I am selling this bag in my PayHip Shop.

I added my strap connectors to the sides of the bag and riveted them in place, instead of sewing to the top sides of the bag as per the bag instructions. I also made the strap an adjustable strap, rather than a fixed strap, so it can be worn on the shoulder or across the body by adjusting the strap.

The back of the bag has a zippered pocket going across both fabrics. I have seen others sew a shorter zipper to go only on one side, which is an option I might try on another bag.

I quilted the stabilizer first to hold it in place better, and then added purse feet to the bottom of the bag. The purse feet or quilting was not in the instructions.

The strap connectors I thought would look better riveted to the sides of the bag and I also added strap ends as well. It seems sturdier and adds a bit more bling to the bag.


I always make my zipper pulls with beads and a charm to add to the zippers on a bag.


I had some fun with the lining, using 3 lining fabrics that all blended well together. I didn't have enough of any one fabric, so I enjoy making my linings fun and using a few fabrics for the lining. Here are 2 of the lining fabrics. I like zippered closures, but I think I would change the way this one is sewn on a future Bonnie, or use a magnetic snap.

It does unzip wide enough to see inside. I added both a zippered pocket and a slip pocket inside the bag, as neither were in the bag instructions.

I almost forgot to show you the matching Little Wallet I made. Funny how that blue photographed differently here and didn't pick up the green part of the print.

Zippered pocket. It really isn't that dark inside the bag. I think my body was blocking the light when I took these photos.


I added fusible fleece to the exterior pieces because I didn't want too slouchy of a bag. The instructions call this a slouchy style bag and therefore only called for using fusible interfacing.

I think this bag made with a magnetic snap instead of a zipper closure would make for a nice big project knitting or crochet bag, especially if you are traveling, because the adjustable single strap would make it easier to carry. It is also a great day trip bag for carrying a lot of things you might need.

If I reduce this bag, it would be a nice size for someone who prefers a smaller bag to use daily. My mind is already thinking of the possibilities, lol.

Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. i adore this bag, i love everything about it. are you selling it? i like the shape, the spaciousness, and your fabric choices. when you described it as a bucket bag i was envisioning something completely different. great job and wonderful choice of fabric.
    tara

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a very classy looking bag. I like how you placed the fabrics.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate every one. If you do not hear a reply back from me, it could be that you are a no-reply, or that Google/Blogger has changed something (again!) making it impossible to respond back to you. If you want a reply because you asked a question, please fill out the Contact Form located on the right side of the blog and I will respond to you that way. Thank you for stopping by! I was forced to add comment moderation due to huge number of SPAM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...