Thursday, October 3, 2024

Sew Powerful Purse #184 & 185 (2024) Using Starbucks tee Shirts for the Flaps

Hello lovely purse makers, quilters and blog readers. I wanted to share a couple more purses that I made for Sew Powerful to donate.

My beautiful daughter is a Barista at Starbucks and working there she gets discounts on their merchandise and somethings like aprons and tee shirts she gets for no cost to wear at work. So my daughter gets rid of stuff she no longer uses or likes, (which is quite often), so I rummage through her giveaway pile of stuff once in a while to see if there is anything that I can use for making the Sew Powerful Purses. I have found old bedsheets that I use for interfacing and some trim, buttons, and more. One day I found a few of her Starbucks tee shirts and I knew they would make great purse flaps! So I grabbed them and interfaced the shirts, since they are knit, and added some batik fabric all around the Starbucks logo shirt. 

I am pretty sure these were some tee shirts she bought in Seattle at the Original Starbucks at Pike Place Market. Starbucks original logo and color was brown (like their coffee) and it's the only place you can still buy their logo merchandise in the brown colors. Since my daughter was born in Washington state, and works for Starbucks, she had to get some of their brown logo stuff. (I scored a small brown logo Starbucks mug too, courtesy of her giveaway boutique 😄). 

So I made these 2 purses and I made a few more purse flaps using Starbucks shirts too, but those will be in another blog post. The shirt is either a really dark dark brown or black background color (I can't tell for sure as my eyes have more trouble seeing those darker colors now, 😢.

purse
The original Brown Starbucks Logo. I made little flowers in the buttons.

backs side with back pocket
Back side of purse with a slip pocket. This fabric was great to use to pair with the Starbucks brown logo, since it really blended well with the tee shirt color.

purse 2
I think this was part of a tee shirt that I used and it had a small Starbucks logo either on the back or the sleeve? I can't remember, since I cut the shirt up. Next time I need to take photos before I cut into it so I can share the before & after of the shirt and then purse. I have some fabric of various cups of coffee with script written below, such as "Kona" or "Cappuccino", etc. So I appliquéd those on to this flap.

flap up showing upcycled denim jeans front with pocket
I upcycled denim jeans to make this purse. Using the front pocket of the jeans adds 2 extra pockets.

back denim pocket with decorative machine stitches
And the back pocket I made using scraps leftover from the jeans and I used decorative machine stitches and some variegated thread to add some fun to the pocket.

I will share some more purses made with Starbucks tee shirts soon. Then I need to make some purses with the aprons from Starbucks too! Haven't even started those yet.

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate every one. If you do not hear a reply back from me, it could be that you are a no-reply, or that Google/Blogger has changed something (again!) making it impossible to respond back to you. If you want a reply because you asked a question, please fill out the Contact Form located on the right side of the blog and I will respond to you that way. Thank you for stopping by! I was forced to add comment moderation due to huge number of SPAM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...