Tuesday, October 8, 2024

Polaroid Baby Quilt~ Project Linus Donation

A long time ago I saw this tutorial for making a Polaroid Quilt, from  Wendi of Shiny Happy World. Wendi's quilt used her appliqué patterns, but I wanted to try this quilt using some novelty children's fabric I had on hand first. I also wanted to make a small quilt to see how it went before getting carried away with something too large. I am glad I chose to do a small quilt because while this quilt is small (39" x 39"), the individual blocks are large and it was a bit of a challenge cutting the angles on these large blocks. I am happy with the results. I don't think I would make anything any larger than this size again. I might try reducing the block size to something more manageable if I want to make an appliqué Polaroid quilt next time.

Since I am donating to Project Linus, the smallest size requirement is 36" x 36" (newborn size) quilt. I added a border to make the bias edges more stable and so ended up with 39" square quilt. The white bottom border of the Polaroid blocks is taller than the top and side borders and to me it looked rather too stark and plain, so I decided to add some words using small die letters I have. I think those words made for a happier, more cheerful quilt. Even though the baby who receives this quilt won't be able to read it, the parent(s) will and that will make them happy. 

I ran out of the red binding, so added the green on the bottom, in case you are wondering, 😄.

I quilted this using a walking foot and quilting in a diamond shape around the quilt.




Flannel back showing quilting lines
Flannel backing shows the diamond quilting, but the green is really more lime green like the next photo.

Back showing Project Linus label
The green flannel looks like this in person.

Quilty Hugs Everyone!!!
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate every one. If you do not hear a reply back from me, it could be that you are a no-reply, or that Google/Blogger has changed something (again!) making it impossible to respond back to you. If you want a reply because you asked a question, please fill out the Contact Form located on the right side of the blog and I will respond to you that way. Thank you for stopping by! I was forced to add comment moderation due to huge number of SPAM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...