Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Splendid Sampler Quilt Blocks

I am making the Splendid Sampler Blocks and so far I have made the first 4 blocks. The blocks are released every Sunday and Thursday and in the end you will end up with 100 6-inch finished quilt blocks. Pat Sloan and Jane Davidson are the women who have organized this event and have invited a lot of well-known quilters to design the quilt blocks. The downloads are free, so even if you don't want to join in and make the blocks each week, you can still download them to make later. I think they will be creating a book later with all of these blocks in the book, so I am saving them all and that way I have them when I want to make them, in case I cannot keep up with making them all now.

Since these all finish at 6-inches, the pieces are small, but hey if you like the block, you can always enlarge them to suit the size you prefer. Some are all pieced, some all applique and some are a combination of pieced and appliqued. As with the Bloom Sew Along, I am using all scraps from my scrap bags to make these blocks.

Here are the first 4 Splendid Sampler Quilt Blocks that I made:
Block 1

Close-up of block 1 showing the stitch I used to sew the heart applique in place.

Block 2. I saw someone else make this block and use 8 rectangles instead of 16 squares and I really liked how hers looked that way. Plus that's 8 fewer squares I would have to sew together! The antennae are optional, but since I embroidered the antennae, I thought I needed to add the body of the butterflies too. I made the 4 corner butterflies face the center, rather than the way the instructions show the top 2 facing out. 

Block 2 close-up

Block 3

Block 4

Close-up of block 4

Block 4 with buttons. I may sew the buttons on this block after I quilt the quilt or whatever I make using this block. I also thought about sewing some trim or sewing a fancy stitch on the vase too. I may do that later if I feel it needs it.

Block 4 close-up of flowers with the button on top. I think the buttons may be what this simple block needs to jazz it up a bit.
Pin It Now!

14 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE LOVE the buttons and how you go outside the box with your designs - Jackie

      Delete
  2. Great blocks - all of them! But I really love those lollipop flowers. Adding buttons for the centers later is a great idea. Working on two quilts using only your scraps...wow, you've got a lot of scraps. But then again, what I call scraps are just bits and bobs of little tiny pieces. I have a feeling your scraps would be filed in my "yardage" bins. LoL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness your fourth block is stinkin' adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally love what you did with the splendid sampler blocks so far. The best I've seen! Love the butterflys! Such a great job. Almost makes me want to make them. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your blocks and the addition of the buttons to flowers make the block. Cute cute

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely blocks and how fun to put your own designs on them. These blocks look like a really good way to explore and try different styles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are very cheerful and fun blocks. I thing they would make great ideas for postcards as well. The butterfly one is my favorite.
    great job
    tara

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your splendid sampler blocks are wonderful! I love the colours and flow of your blocks! I was going to do the Splendid Sampler, and have printed all the block patterns - but am also in Pat Sloan's Secret Garden Mystery BOM - and just do not currently have the time to do both. I am looking forward to seeing more of your blocks as the weeks go on!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your blocks are lovely and I do like your colour choices. I wouldn't have thought of using that stitch you used for the heart appliqué but it totally works. The buttons make a nice touch too. I am collecting the patterns but haven't started the blocks yet, realistically, I'm not sure if I will have time just now but it's great seeing yours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, you did splendid work, that's for sure. The heart is lovely with the special stitch. I noticed that it's the same you used for the flowers showed in another post. :-) Your butterflies are simply gorgeous. And yes, your buttons jazzed the round flowers perfectly.
    Thank you for participating to my Fabric, Thread and Yarn link party. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Isn't block 4 a cutie! Been watching everyone make these blocks. So tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cute blocks, I really like all of the fun stitches you used.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Adorable blocks. I like that there are many techniques included in the designs. Your butterflies are too perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate every one. If you do not hear a reply back from me, it could be that you are a no-reply, or that Google/Blogger has changed something (again!) making it impossible to respond back to you. If you want a reply because you asked a question, please fill out the Contact Form located on the right side of the blog and I will respond to you that way. Thank you for stopping by! I was forced to add comment moderation due to huge number of SPAM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...