Friday, June 21, 2024

Gray String Quilt

I finished this gray string quilt and it's now in the gift shop. I had stitched most of the blocks a while ago and never put them together. I found them and laid them out to see if I had enough blocks and what pattern I wanted before stitching them into rows and putting it together. I liked this arrangement of the diamond and the other blocks surrounding the one diamond shape. I added a couple of borders and quilted it to a black polar fleece backing and then sewed the binding on. Polar fleece is a great soft backing and you really don't need any batting as the polar fleece it thick enough on its own. It is still technically a quilt as I did sew the gray strings onto a foundation material, so I do have 3 layers, which is what a quilt is: a top layer, a middle layer and a back layer. 



I think using gray prints that have bits of other colors in them gives this quilt a bit more interest. Plus the various shades of grays give it that shadow look. From a distance it does have an artsy quality to the quilt, almost like looking at a painting photographed in black and white so it looks like it is from an era before color photography.

Scrap happy stitching!




Pin It Now!

6 comments:

  1. Samantha BurnsideFriday, June 21, 2024

    Oh Daryl! This one is such a beauty! It might be one of my favorites yet. It's simple enough, but still stunning! I bet this one does off the shelf of the gift shop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The gray palette makes it very sophisitcated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how this one came together, grays are kinda classic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are wonderful colors, every time i see something wonderful done in grey i always think i need to use that color more often. looks fantastic and that hint of yellow really sets it off

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the grays in this one, Daryl! Thanks for sharing with us at Monday Musings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never tried anything but squares for string blocks. This is so interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate every one. If you do not hear a reply back from me, it could be that you are a no-reply, or that Google/Blogger has changed something (again!) making it impossible to respond back to you. If you want a reply because you asked a question, please fill out the Contact Form located on the right side of the blog and I will respond to you that way. Thank you for stopping by! I was forced to add comment moderation due to huge number of SPAM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...