Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Make Flowers from Circles

I love using my Circle die cuts from Crafters Edge for using in all kinds of appliqué. Circles by themselves make great looking flowers and you can stack 2 or more circles on top of one another for a different look too. The Circles die cut set includes 11 sizes in 1/2" increments, so you can have a lot of possibilities on hand to create so many things.

I was thinking the other day how it would be so easy to take a circle of fabric and make a few snips to create a flower. So this is what I did.

The finished flower made from a circle.

To make the flower, first cut a circle. I first fused fusible web on the back of the circle and then I cut the circle using a die cut.


Then fold the circle in half.

Fold the circle in half again.

With sharp scissors make a snip at an angle from the raw outer edge and snip into the folded side, snipping a little bit, but making the snip as deep toward the center folds as you want to cut. I was being conservative with this flower and didn't snip too deep towards the center folds.

Open the circle. If you want those cuts deeper towards the center, refold and snip a bit more off. 

Refold the circle, matching where you cut and creating folds in the opposite sides now. Fold once and then fold again like you did in the beginning. Make snips again along the new folds and trying to snip about the same amount of fabric off.

Open up and now you have a flower with a bit of a different look than just a circle. Add a smaller circle to the center and fuse where you want your flower. You can also add a button in the center too.

You can make deeper snips overall or just some of the snips deeper to give it a more wonky look. Add the snipped circle on top of a larger snipped circle or a non-snipped circle to create all kinds of looks.

Note: if your fabric isn't too thick, you could fold it in half and in half again and fold it once more in half and then make your snips as I showed you above. You will be snipping through all the layers at once and when you open it out, the flower will be done. I have been successful doing this on the larger circles, but the smaller ones can be more fiddly to fold it so many times. So try it both ways and see which you prefer. Thicker fabric will be harder to snip through that many layers at once, so this is why I showed you how to make the snips in 2 steps, rather than one step.

You can find this tutorial under my Tip of the Morning Tuesday .

I will be sharing how I used these flowers in my appliqué pieces as I make more of them and stitch them onto projects. I will refer to this tutorial when I make something, so you can easily find this.
Have fun making your flowers.






Pin It Now!

3 comments:

  1. Very cute. Looking forward to seeing what you do with them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well how clever of you Daryl! The circles make a sweet flower shape. I too am looking forward to your flower making inspiration from the die cuts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. your tips and tricks are always appreciated.
    thanks
    Tara

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate every one. If you do not hear a reply back from me, it could be that you are a no-reply, or that Google/Blogger has changed something (again!) making it impossible to respond back to you. If you want a reply because you asked a question, please fill out the Contact Form located on the right side of the blog and I will respond to you that way. Thank you for stopping by! I was forced to add comment moderation due to huge number of SPAM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...