Sunday, March 13, 2022

Time in a Bottle Quilt

Thanks to Carol for hosting this blog hop~


As you can see from the above picture it says Challenge: Hourglass Blocks. Well I took a different approach to the challenge and decided to make Time in a Bottle appliqué quilt.


Initially, I had pieced 24 tiny hourglass blocks to use as a border for another small piece I made, but I didn't like how it was looking and the tiny blocks were only 1 1/2" finished and much to fiddly for me to handle, so before time ran out, I switched gears and decided to do an appliqué instead as I get along much better with appliqué. Maybe as I hop along to see what the other participants have created, it might make me want to make a  pieced hourglass block (but with larger triangles)? So in the meanwhile, this is what I created for this blog hop, Time in a Bottle.


The bottle cork is made from fabric that looks just like cork.



If the Jim Croce song, Time in a Bottle, gets stuck into your head and can't get out, well I take no responsibility for that, lol!

If I could save time in a bottle
The first thing that I'd like to do
Is to save every day 'til eternity passes away
Just to spend them with you
If I could make days last forever
If words could make wishes come true
I'd save every day like a treasure, and then
Again, I would spend them with you
But there never seems to be enough time
To do the things you want to do once you find them
I've looked around enough to know
That you're the one I want to go through time with
If I had a box just for wishes
And dreams that had never come true
The box would be empty
Except for the memory of how they were answered by you
But there never seems to be enough time
To do the things you want to do once you find them
I've looked around enough to know
That you're the one I want to go through time with

Here are the other blog participants to visit:





Pin It Now!

31 comments:

  1. Haha that song had already got into my head before I read the words - now, even more so! Fun sidetrack for the challenge....1 1/2" hourglasses is very small!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I considered doing an applique hourglass as well. The intro to Days of Our Lives ran through my head as I thought through this project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your applique is wonderful. I had that song in my head from when I saw the theme of the hop and started working on my own project lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great quilt, Daryl. I like your deviation from the theme--if all else fails, punt. Good play!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too cute. 1 1/2" hourglass blocks. Yikes, those are small. I would likely have given up as well. LOL!! Thanks for sharing your fun applique, it's my favorite way to quilt as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you took this challenge so literally. What a great job, we all want time in a bottle. Who doesn't love Jim Croce his songs are timeless. great job love the clock face.
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great piece, and great minds think alike. I had that same song going through my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great project! I've always loved that song, so thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your applique quilt, Daryl. Time in a bottle (HMMM: Great minds!) LOL You did a great job with your applique, as always! I like your twist!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is such an easy song to get stuck in your head! The applique piece is just right for the song and the hop. Thanks for sharing.
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I started to sing the song as soon as I saw your quilt! Great job on the embroidery!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great project and great song! Thanks for sharing Daryl.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That song has run through my mind this whole month. Good thing I love that song! Your applique looks great on this beautiful quilt and perfectly fits the theme of the hop. Thanks for sharing, Daryl!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love that song, the other one I always think of is the song by Bread Everything I Own. Great applique.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Never, never enough time for us quilters. You interpreted the theme perfectly and did a fantastic job. Your applique - including the cork - is outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great idea of trying to stop time by your time in a bottle quilt. That cork fabric is the cherry on top.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved that song, thanks for jogging the memory! Very sweet project or should I say a timely project;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your interpretation of time in a bottle! You did an amazing job! I too like applique.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your mini is amazing and so clever. Way to change directions and make the challenge work. That song has gone through my head countless times as we prepared for the hop.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your applique quilt! And yes, the song is now stuck in my head ... but it's OK - it's a great song!
    Happy Quilting, Quilting Gail

    ReplyDelete
  21. If only we could save time in a bottle.....a very innovative project.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love this! The clock hands are perfect! Great project.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is very cute! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very cute mini! it looks like a genie bottle

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great take on this challenge. Love that you've thought outside the box. Great project :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sweet little quilt. I think we pretty much all have that ear worm this week.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very cute! I've had that song stuck in my head ever since I signed up! It makes me wax melancholic... I love how you interpreted it xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wonderful spin on this Hops Title. It was bad enough that the tune was stuck in my head but you just had to include the words, didn't you. And then I had to sing it all the way through. And now I may never get it out of my brain.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate every one. If you do not hear a reply back from me, it could be that you are a no-reply, or that Google/Blogger has changed something (again!) making it impossible to respond back to you. If you want a reply because you asked a question, please fill out the Contact Form located on the right side of the blog and I will respond to you that way. Thank you for stopping by! I was forced to add comment moderation due to huge number of SPAM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...