Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Simply Serene Quilt in Black, White & Gray

Hello quilt friends. Mr. P. wanted a quilt made to a specific size (50" wide x 80" long) and he wanted it in grays and black. He didn't want anything too complicated for me to make as he didn't want me to spend a lot of time on it. I looked around the internet for ideas and while on a Facebook quilt group I saw someone posted a quilt in blues in a pattern called Simply Serene. It was beautiful, yet simple. I showed photo to Mr. P and he liked it. Since I needed to make the quilt a certain size and the pattern was not that size and I would have to make changes anyhow, I knew I could make this quilt just by looking at the photo as it is just squares and half square triangles, so it's not hard to make. 

I did a little math, but apparently forgot that these were set on point, so I ended up cutting out much more fabric squares and triangles than I needed, so I will use those squares and half square triangles in another project later. Since this was such a long quilt, I had to lay it all out on the floor in the kitchen when Mr. P. was out of the house. I labeled each diagonal row with a number so that I could sew it in order. I quilted in in a serpentine stitch in a grid, by stitching vertically and then horizontally along each row. The serpentine stitch with it's curved stitching softened the straight angles of the quilt. I used a polyester batting to make it warmer than cotton too.

Mr. P. loved it! It was the right size for him, he likes the look and the soft flannel backing. He even has been able to use it for the past few nights as it has been a bit cooler, but hot weather is coming, so it won't get much use until the fall comes around again.

This quilt was so long that I couldn't reach high enough to hang it up higher and the bottom is on the driveway😜! Yes I hung it on my garage door😄.

closeup

closeup
Serpentine quilting on the front.

Flannel backing showing the serpentine stitching
Soft flannel backing showing the serpentine stitch.


Happy patchwork piecing & quilting!



Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate every one. If you do not hear a reply back from me, it could be that you are a no-reply, or that Google/Blogger has changed something (again!) making it impossible to respond back to you. If you want a reply because you asked a question, please fill out the Contact Form located on the right side of the blog and I will respond to you that way. Thank you for stopping by! I was forced to add comment moderation due to huge number of SPAM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...