Monday, April 8, 2024

4 Scrappy Free Form Log Cabin Style Quilts for Project Linus Donation

Hello my crafty, sewing friends. Several months ago I got the idea to make a free from scrappy quilt using my turquoise scraps and a tiny orange center for each block that I made. Well, I didn't plan it out very well as I just kept sewing scraps and I had so many blocks started, but very few that were squared to the 8.5" square size I wanted, so I had to add blue scraps and green scraps as well as the turquoise I started with, 😜.  Then when sewing the blocks together, I didn't want huge quilts, so I made 3 square quilts at 40" x 40" and one that was a bit longer and a rectangle instead of square. I actually made 2 rectangle ones, but I will share that one another day, as I am going to see if I can sell that one first at a gift shop. If it doesn't sell, I will donate it too.

I love piecing scraps to make these free form log cabin style quilts. No rules, no mistakes, just sewing fun! They can be sewn with any width scrap (from 1" to about 3") and sewn in the Log Cabin style (sewing around and around in a clockwise fashion) or the Courthouse Steps style (sewing strips across from each other) or both ways in the same block. I choose where I want to sew the scrap based on the length of the scrap piece. Sometimes I don't have a long enough strip to sew on a certain side, so if it fits on a different side then that's where it gets sewn.

I backed all of these quilts using soft flannel. In fact, I didn't add any batting at all. I just sewed the backing and the top right side together, left an opening and turned them. I press them, topstitched all around, which closed the opening, and quilted to hold the 2 layers together in a Serpentine Stitch on the diagonal. The pieced top with the flannel backing was heavy enough as is without any batting and the quilt has more drape too. 

I like to add an appliqué animal or a flower on my scrappy quilts that get donated, but these were so busy, that when I auditioned a large appliqué by placing it on top, it got lost, so no appliqué for these quilts. I will have to choose a different light color to piece next time in order to add some appliqué to the quilts.

5 blocks across x 5 blocks down (8" finished blocks) makes this quilt 40" x 40".

Backing is flannel with Peace Signs
The flannel backing I used was Peace Signs. I love how soft the flannel makes a quilt more cuddly.

Close up
Closeup of a few blocks.

This is the rectangle shaped quilt as it has 5 blocks x 6 blocks, making it 40" x 48".

Close up
Close up look.

Royal blue flannel backing
Royal blue flannel backing.

Another 40" x 40" quilt.

Close up
There are a lot of fun scraps in these quilts. Sort of an "I Spy" quilt, making it fun for the child to find all sorts of things, like the ballerina pig above.

Close up
Another close up.

Royal blue flannel backing
This was also backed in royal blue flannel, but I needed to add a strip of the floral print flannel to make it big enough at the top.

40" x 40".

Close up
I spy a hot air balloon, butterflies & flowers.

Blue floral flannel backing
This flannel backing is the floral print.

Happy Scrappy sewing!


Pin It Now!

4 comments:

  1. Wow! You are on a tear -- turning all those scraps into blocks and then on to the quilts. I seldom think to use flannel as backing...probably because our winters haven't been getting very cold here recently. But they would make a nice cuddly quilt, that's for sure. I may have to take a look at some one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your scrappy log cabin. I've tried making scrappy quilts before but was never happy with them. I was told I quit too soon so I have started making crumb quilt blocks. Guess what I think I like it but I can't seem to run out of crumbs. LOL
    I hope to finish and share it one day. I really like your colors too and the idea of using flannel for backing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great scrappy log cabin quilt, Daryl! I know some child will absolutely adore it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love how scrappy this is and it works perfectly. the peace sign fabric is wonderful. i like the idea of using flannel on the back.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate every one. If you do not hear a reply back from me, it could be that you are a no-reply, or that Google/Blogger has changed something (again!) making it impossible to respond back to you. If you want a reply because you asked a question, please fill out the Contact Form located on the right side of the blog and I will respond to you that way. Thank you for stopping by! I was forced to add comment moderation due to huge number of SPAM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...