Thursday, November 2, 2023

Lucky Stars Lap Quilt

I recently finished this quilt, called "Lucky Stars" (Atkinson Designs pattern). I had long admired this quilt pattern as I loved the bright colors and the stars. 

Since I have triangle die cuts, I thought I would just make things easier and cut the triangles with die cuts for the Sawtooth Stars. So that's what I did. I sewed one block first and then was going to add the rectangle blocks around the star and that's when I saw something wasn't right! The rectangle blocks were too large! Hmmm... so I looked closer at the pattern and I discovered that the background fabric was larger than a Sawtooth Star Block. See my quilt below (my star points touch the rectangles) and then see the cover photo on the pattern cover below and how much more background fabric there is and the star points don't touch, but look more suspended on the background fabric. Pays to READ the directions!

Photo from Atkinson Designs

So, since I cut all those triangles with my die cuts, I just cut my rectangle strips smaller to fit my version of the quilt. My quilt ended up a bit smaller than the lap size of 60" x 75" as the pattern says a lap quilt is supposed to be. Well trying to save myself some time and make it easier, I ended up with a slightly different quilt, but I like it anyhow. It's such a slight variation, that no one would have even noticed if I hadn't mentioned it.

Quilted the quilt with a variegated thread, using a serpentine stitch.



The backing is a flannel with a piece of orange Fossil Fern flannel added to make it wide enough.


Pin It Now!

4 comments:

  1. Your quilt is beautiful, Daryl!! Bright colors and stars...what could be better?

    ReplyDelete
  2. when you see this quilt the first thing you notice is the great colors and and the fun stars. i think its beautiful and very cheerful. great job as always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right -- nobody would have noticed the variation in the quilt. I've seen Terry's pattern many a time and when I saw your quilt I knew that's the pattern you used. Never thought about the extra space around the stars. Great quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE your quilt. The colors you chose are so pretty together. The difficulty with the triangles seemed to work out well as the quilt is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate every one. If you do not hear a reply back from me, it could be that you are a no-reply, or that Google/Blogger has changed something (again!) making it impossible to respond back to you. If you want a reply because you asked a question, please fill out the Contact Form located on the right side of the blog and I will respond to you that way. Thank you for stopping by! I was forced to add comment moderation due to huge number of SPAM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...