Monday, November 13, 2023

5 Scalloped Fabric Bowls (Reversible)

I wanted to make a fabric bowl to put my sewing clips or other small things in, so I made a scalloped edge fabric bowl. I wasn't making these for the microwave at all, so I used polyester thread and InsulBright and whatever scraps of cotton or cotton blend batting that I had. The bowls are reversible and I quilted one fabric to InsulBright and the other fabric to the batting. I wanted a sturdy bowl. Those microwave all cotton bowls just aren't sturdy feeling enough for me.

The first bowl came out really nice and so I made 4 more bowls. Another one for myself and I gave one to a friend for her birthday (a few months ago) and I made 2 more bowls to give to the leader of the Project Linus (PL) group I belong to and the longarm quilter who quilts PL quilts for anyone who needs them quilted.

All the bowls measure 7 1/2" across and 2 1/2" high.

Here they are~
This is my bowl for me. I used fabric that I had made a couple different bags out of before. I love all the colors and the floral print of this fabric.

I quilted it in a grid.

This is a batik bowl I made for myself. Light batik on one side and dark batik on the other side.

Oops this got out of order. This is the outside of the first colorful floral print bowl. I can of course reverse it so that the blue could be the inside and the floral the outside. It is shown here bottom side up.

Looking down into the light batik bowl here.

Flipped over so the dark batik is bottom up.

I made this bowl for our PL group leader. Linda is always so complementary about the quilts we make to donate to PL, so I thought I would use this cheerleader fabric print I had, since she is such a cheerleader for us. I told her and the others it is not microwave safe and use it for sewing notions, etc. She said she would use it for a dish of ice cream. Well that works too, lol!

The other side was girls with sports, which went well with the cheerleader print. Not sure if Linda likes sports? It's a colorful bowl, so if she has a favorite color, it should be on both of those prints most likely.

This is a blue print and brown with blue print for the other side. I gave this one to Barbara our PL longarm quilter. I didn't know if she had any favorite colors? 

Looking down inside the bowl.

Bottom up to see the other side. Can be reversed of course.

I made this for a friend's birthday. We were sewing together every Monday for a few months. I wasn't sure what colors or prints she might like so I brought this one and the one I gave to Barbara and had her choose (before I gave Barbara a bowl). When she chose this one, then I gave the other to Barbara later. Julie said she put her pincushion inside the bowl and it fit perfectly.

I like the colorful print of this fabric.

Bottom up to show the lighter print. I think Julie turned it so this lighter print was the inside of the bowl. Either way looks great and with all these bowls, it's like having 2 bowls in one.

These obviously make nice gifts and can be made with 100% cotton fabric, thread and batting if you want to use them for a microwave bowl. I used a template to make these. Great for using up batting scraps and partial fat quarters or larger scraps.

Happy Sewing!


Pin It Now!

4 comments:

  1. those are wonderful, i love the scalloped edges. the last one looks like it has a wider base. they are wonderful gifts and useful for many things. i like how you centered some of the fabrics, you got the flower perfectly in the center. great job as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bowls are so cute and look like they would be useful for so many things. I love the floral fabric on the one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great idea for sewing notions

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what nice bowls especially with scalloped edges and perfect for clips, etc.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate every one. If you do not hear a reply back from me, it could be that you are a no-reply, or that Google/Blogger has changed something (again!) making it impossible to respond back to you. If you want a reply because you asked a question, please fill out the Contact Form located on the right side of the blog and I will respond to you that way. Thank you for stopping by! I was forced to add comment moderation due to huge number of SPAM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...