Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Knitting (Book) Pillow

Thanks Carla (of Creatin' in the Sticks) for hosting this blog hop!

I knew what I wanted to make for this Tickled Pink blog hop, which is a Knitting Pillow. I am sure you have all seen a Reading Pillow before, which is the same idea that you place a book in the pocket of a pillow, usually this is for a child, but I wanted a place where I could place my knitting instructions while I knit. 

I wanted to add an appliqué on the pocket too, so I chose the Love appliqué word die cut from Crafter's Edge. I did make this before Valentine's Day, so it was a nice Valentine's Day project. 

The pillow not only can hold instructions in the pocket, but the pillow provides support of your hands as you knit or stitch with needle and thread by hand too.

I fused HeatnBond Lite fusible web onto the back of my fabric and then placed the Love die cut on the back side to cut it out (with my Crossover II die cut machine by Crafter's Edge). When using letters, numbers and words, you must cut from the back side so that it reads correctly from the front side.

I love the Crafter's Edge die cuts as they cut so nice and the edges are perfect!

I quilted the pocket to StitchnSew High Loft Sew-in Fleece from Therm-o-Web. You can't see the quilting that well from the front, but it makes for a sturdier pocket.

The back side of the quilting kind of looks like wood grain.

Next, I fused the appliqué to the front of the pocket and then stitched in blanket stitching all around the appliqué. My Mini Oliso Iron is perfect for fusing or ironing small pieces. I love the turquoise color, it goes with the yellow walls and turquoise trim of my sewing  cutting & ironing room. (I sew in the room across from this one, lol!)

I chose to use a blue thread for the blanket stitching so the word pops more. I think the fabric I used for the Love appliqué kind of looks a bit like knitting (stockinette stitch).

All done. I added a carry handle at the top. I stuffed in a pillow form that was a bit larger.

The back side is an overlapped style, so no zipper needed.

A small, thin booklet will fit in the pocket.

Knitting instructions placed in a clear sleeve protector fits into the pocket too.

The Die Cut used for this project from Crafter's Edge, is the Love die cut.
Please visit all the participating blogs on this hop:


Pin It Now!

32 comments:

  1. Love your pocket pillow! It's great for the blog hop! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading pillows have been on my to do list for a while. Maybe for an upcoming blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun idea for a pillow. I love the handle the most. Definitely going to add one to my next pillow cover. The fabric is adorable too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE-ly pillow! That fabric is perfect for the knitting theme.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a clever idea. Your fabric choices are just perfect for defining your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a fun and great idea. now I suddenly need a knitting pillow. I have that problem of having wonderful carrying bags for my knitting but the pattern doesn't always fit, so this is perfect. the handle is a great idea as well. good job and love the colors.
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many great ideas in this pillow. My favorite idea is using a different thread color to make the words pop. The handle is such a "lightbulb going off in my head" idea. Why didn't I ever think of that? We are all tickled pink over your knitting pillow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pillow is definitely perfect for the hop! This gives me an idea for my grands!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool way to keep your patterns together and have a place to prop your arm. Your a genius!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your knitting instruction pocket pillow is a sweet make. And greatly useful. That is such a cute knitting fabric print. I really like that sweet ‘LOVE’ die.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great project, and then when you are done knitting you can just lay your head down and take a little nap!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea! I think I need to make one of these. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't knit, but if I did, this would be on my list of things to make for storing those items. It's really pretty! I love the CE dies, too, and use them a lot. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful idea Daryl! I don't knit, but I do crochet and I do embroidery so the pillow would be awesome to use for that. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your sweet pillow. Great idea for adding a pocked. I also love your wood grain FMQ. I definitely want to learn to stitch this, just need to practice!

    ReplyDelete
  16. what a great idea. I made Reading Pillows for the grands and older great grands, but never thought that it would be useful for my time knitting or doing hand work. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great idea, Daryl! I don't knit but could definitely see this used for cross stitch or crochet!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely pillow! It would make a great reading pillow.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The perfect gift for a knitter.....love the knitting fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great idea and I love the extra "love" applique detail.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a sweet pillow, and would be welcomed by anyone fortunate enough to receive a gift like this,

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great idea! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Neat pillow. I never thought of resting my hands but it makes sense. Love the fabrics you used.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Neat pillow, Daryl, and I really like your use of the LOVE die (It is a neat die--I really like that one). Very appropriate for this hop and useful too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Excellent! I still have the metal 'pillow' my son gave me but your knitting pillow is the BEST! Love the love and the fabric you used. I'm tickled pink with your project.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a good idea for your Hop project!!! Who doesn't need a portable pillow for any number of events?!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh wow, it's super cute! I love the knitting fabric :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Daryl, what a great project. It's going to be very handy!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is a clever idea! I may have to make one of these. Love the way it turned out!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate every one. If you do not hear a reply back from me, it could be that you are a no-reply, or that Google/Blogger has changed something (again!) making it impossible to respond back to you. If you want a reply because you asked a question, please fill out the Contact Form located on the right side of the blog and I will respond to you that way. Thank you for stopping by! I was forced to add comment moderation due to huge number of SPAM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...