Friday, February 25, 2022

Sew Powerful Purses #56-66 (for 2022)

Since our plans had to change with the weather, we couldn't leave early Thursday morning to head to Phoenix for QuiltCon. Icy road conditions along the way and we got over 3" of snow here at home. So it was a good day to sew and I ended up finishing eleven more purses to take with us to deliver to Sew Powerful at the show in person. Those purses were already cut out and ready to sew.

I photographed the first ones on the snow we got. These are all the intermediate style purse with the gusset sides/bottom and I used the beginner flap (it's more fun to create on the larger beginner flap). These were all quilt blocks I made that never became a quilt, so decided to make purse flaps and purses. I upcycled some denim jeans for the body of some of the purses.  I also topstitched on both sides of the gusset for extra stability and it looks nicer too.

The center of the flaps were from a Flower and Vegetable Seed packet printed fabric. I only used the flower seed packets because we are told not to use fabric with food on them as the girls who receive the purses often don't have enough to eat and we don't want to remind them of that.


purse flap up
Under the flap so you can see the front of the purse better and there is a large pocket on the front.

3 purses with the Sunflower Seed Packets
Triplets (not identical) though. All Sunflower Seed packets in the center.

I made this purse using some denim jeans. You can see the gusset and topstitching in gray thread on the gusset.


flap up to show front of purse
I had cut out some shorter pockets to add to the back of some of the purses, but I accidentally grabbed that back pocket and added it to the front pocket instead. Well I decided to leave it there and see what I thought of it on the front as a double pocket. I think it was a happy accident and I do like the extra pocket there. The flap covers it and keeps things maybe a bit more secure. I had decided the pocket I added to the back was too short and was going to cut taller pockets for the back of the bag next time I make a purse, so I added a couple of these shorter ones to the front instead. Do you have an opinion about this extra pocket?

2 different purses
Two purses with Hydrangea flower packets. They can sure look different with different fabrics and colors pieced around the flower seed packet.

piece flap in batik fabric with pink appliqué flower
This flap was made sewing scraps of batiks together. Then I added the pink flower appliqué on top. This purse was also made using upcycled denim jeans.

back of purse showing the front pocket from a denim jeans to use on the back of the purse
On the back side of the purse I used the front pocket from the jeans. I wanted to add the back pockets on the back of the purses, but those pockets were larger than the fabric I needed to cut, so the front pocket actually fit here and makes a fun looking back of the purse and a bit more useful too.



Back of the purse with an added back pocket
I added that short pocket on the back of this purse. I think I will cut the back pocket taller on the next purses I make. 

Now that these 11 and the other 55 purses have been delivered to Sew Powerful at their booth at QuiltCon, I will need to start cutting out some more purse kits to sew. But I think I have too many other ideas swimming in my head now after attending the show, that I want to have some fun first and play with quilt ideas first. 66 purses made and delivered before February is even over, is pretty, pretty, pretty darn good if you ask me, lol!



Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. I didn't think these could get cuter, but the flower seed pack fabric is just adorable!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate every one. If you do not hear a reply back from me, it could be that you are a no-reply, or that Google/Blogger has changed something (again!) making it impossible to respond back to you. If you want a reply because you asked a question, please fill out the Contact Form located on the right side of the blog and I will respond to you that way. Thank you for stopping by! I was forced to add comment moderation due to huge number of SPAM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...