Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Convertible Cross Body Tote

I made this bag, The Convertible Cross Body Tote, a free tutorial by Sew Can She. It turned out really nice. The only thing I ended up changing was that I added an adjustable slider and made the strap longer. I tried doing it Caroline's way with the 2 swivel hooks so that it could be worn across the body or doubled up with the 2 swivel hooks on one ring as a shoulder bag, but the problem I had was that the strap wasn't long enough to go cross the body unless I lengthened it. Then it was too long when I doubled it over. So the only way for it to work was to remove the swivel hooks and add an adjustable slider. That worked out well.

Since I knew I wanted to try this bag and maybe sell it at a gift shop, it had to be able to fit a variety of body shapes, sizes and heights. I find that most designers do not make their straps long enough to adjust for most people. I tend to add length to the straps that I make. I am not tall, nor large (although busty) and most of the straps don't fit across my body long enough, so larger women would really have a problem if the straps weren't long enough. Hopefully someone will love this and buy it. I do want to make some more of these in other colors.

The instructions in the tutorial were very good! The bag is a nice size and shape too. It has a magnetic snap closure.


I used 2 brown prints for the exterior.


Side view to see the depth of the bag.

She likes swinging in the tree!
Lining.

Back of bag has a zippered pocket.
Linking to Bag It 2017

This bag has sold!
Pin It Now!

10 comments:

  1. Very nice tote, Daryl. The fabrics are really pretty. Good luck with the sale, this is the right time of year as folks are probably starting to shop for holiday gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cross body bags are wonderful for hands free shopping or enjoying events. This bag looks beautiful and practical. Longer straps are definitely preferred. Happy Selling Dear...<3

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pretty and roomy bag. The longer straps are a great idea :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Danice! Since you are a no-reply I couldn't email you directly.

      Delete
  4. Oh, it looks so nice! I think I am going to call you the Bag and Tote Queen! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice bag, Daryl - and you have such a lovely area to photograph your projects - is that your garden, or did you go to a park? At this time of the year my little gardens look rather ... ummm ... dried up and crappy, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a terrific bag. Thanks for sharing as part of Elm Street Quilts Bag It.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow !! What a beautiful bag, Daryl. Your version of this pattern is awesome !!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think this could be a good seller because it looks very useful and the adjustable length with the strap is essential. The fabric on the outside looks really familiar, great job.
    tara

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate every one. If you do not hear a reply back from me, it could be that you are a no-reply, or that Google/Blogger has changed something (again!) making it impossible to respond back to you. If you want a reply because you asked a question, please fill out the Contact Form located on the right side of the blog and I will respond to you that way. Thank you for stopping by! I was forced to add comment moderation due to huge number of SPAM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...