Monday, January 19, 2015

People Quilts From AQS Show in Albuquerque, New Mexico

The AQS (American Quilter's Society) quilt show came here to Albuquerque January 14-17, 2015. It was the first time ever they had their quilt show in New Mexico, so of course I had to go because I might not be able to attend another show. I went with a friend of mine. We went the first day. That morning it began to snow too. By the time we were ready to leave it was nearly dark and the snow had all melted away. There were 500 quilts in the show, including some special exhibits such as the Stitch Like an Egyptian Exhibit, Route 66 quilts, Gail Garber quilts. So many amazing quilts!

I uploaded over 350 quilts to my Flickr album and I will be highlighting a few quilts on my blog here whenever I post some photos and I thought I would post them with a theme in mind. Today I chose to post quilts from the show that had people in them as the subject of the quilt. Enjoy the show!
Did you know that the University of New Mexico (UNM) department of Theater and Dance has the only undergraduate and graduate flamenco dance degree programs in the world? This quilt of a flamenco dancer is gorgeous! I know you will like this quilt Maria! 
Close-up of flamenco dancer quilt.
This is the 2015 Balloon quilt top (not actually quilted yet) that was designed and painted by Betty Standiferd (the children and background are painted). Balloon quilts are the annual fund raiser for NMQA (New Mexico Quilter's Association) and raffle tickets are sold up to the last day of the annual Balloon Fiesta, which always starts the first weekend in October and runs for 9 days. The winner of the quilt is chosen on the last day of Balloon Fiesta.
Native basket maker.
Close-up of basket from above quilt.


Close-up from above quilt.
Close-up from quilt. Beautiful quilting!
Sampson and Delilah.
Delilah close-up.

Close-up.

Day of the Dead quilt.
Close-up of Day of the Dead quilt from above.

Close-up of woman's face.
    Pin It Now!

9 comments:

  1. Of course my favourite has to be the flamenco dancer but they are all stunning and labours of love. There are so many talented people around, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so cool that you got to go, the Flamenco dancer is my favorite too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you could take photos from the show, there were so many beautiful quilts with exquisite detail. Thanks so much for sharing your pictures. I saw lots of use of embellishments on the quilts which surprised me.
    tara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. Love getting to be there through your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh to have the artistic talents of these amazing quilters! I will study the pictures much and often. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very impressive works of art! Thank you for sharing those wonderful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Great quilts.i thought the flamenco dancer was one you made. It's your style.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I heard this was a good show, although much smaller than some of the other AQS shows. My mom was there doing author demos from our book AQS published last spring and said she had a great time and loved the city!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing! They are gorgeous! I love the flamenco dancer the best but the arab men at the market and the native woman with the Together we Dance. Amazing artists!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate every one. If you do not hear a reply back from me, it could be that you are a no-reply, or that Google/Blogger has changed something (again!) making it impossible to respond back to you. If you want a reply because you asked a question, please fill out the Contact Form located on the right side of the blog and I will respond to you that way. Thank you for stopping by! I was forced to add comment moderation due to huge number of SPAM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...