Friday, October 20, 2023

Color by Number Quilt (Bargello Style)

I made this quilt from a Sew Can She tutorial, called Color by Number Quilt. It is a bargello style, only done with squares or Trip Around the World style quilt, but in a "V" shape instead of a diamond shape. Easy to make, but you need enough of each color square to make it work. I am pleased how nice this quilt top turned out.

The top measures 54 1/2'' x 63 1/2", which can be difficult for me to quilt, so I gave it to the longarm quilter in my Project Linus (PL) group to quilt it for me. Anything she quilts gets donated to PL. She uses soft Minky fabric for the backing and folds it over for the binding. The Minky was donated to our PL group and she has it at her home. No need for batting as the Minky is thick enough and oh so soft!

I like it hung this way with the "V" pointing down like a "V". But it could be the other way like an "A" without the middle bar.

I chose red, yellow and blue as the primary colors and added one "V" row of aqua.




Here is the finished quilt. She is holding it the opposite way (A) as I had it in the first photo, but it doesn't matter as either direction works. The Minky backing folds over the the front to form a binding. She pieced the backing, using a yellow Minky and an aqua Minky, so it makes the binding 2-colored.

Front view of the flower quilting pattern.

The back of the Minky showing the flower quilting.

This quilt was donated to PL and should be nice and soft and cuddly as the temperatures here get colder.

I might make some more of these, but make smaller tops so that I can quilt them myself. I like to use soft flannel on the back of my quilts. It's a fun way to use up some fabric that has striking results, but that is also easy to make. It sure looks more dramatic than scrappy squares randomly placed.




Pin It Now!

4 comments:

  1. i like it. even though you used traditional fabric it has that modern look of being a part of around the world quilt. great job as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the interest this sparks being off set like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun choice of fabrics for this - it will be well loved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun quilt! It looks easier than the bargello I made. I made two - my first AND last! LOL I didn't like all the sewing, unsewing and sewing again of this process, though Twisted Sister looked great in the end! I know PL appreciates your donations! Thanks for sharing on Monday Musings.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate every one. If you do not hear a reply back from me, it could be that you are a no-reply, or that Google/Blogger has changed something (again!) making it impossible to respond back to you. If you want a reply because you asked a question, please fill out the Contact Form located on the right side of the blog and I will respond to you that way. Thank you for stopping by! I was forced to add comment moderation due to huge number of SPAM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...