Friday, November 27, 2020

Camaraderie Knit Beanies

I knit a couple of hats called the Camaraderie Knit Beanie. The first one I used one of those acrylic yarn cakes that has very long colors (yards of one color before the color changes) and I held 2 yarns together as I knit it to make a thicker yarn. So the colors would change on one ball to where I had 2 colors I knit creating a heather or tweed effect. I used this yarn since it was leftover from another project and I still had plenty leftover after knitting this hat. 

I liked how the hat turned out and fit, so I grabbed a skein I had of some acrylic blend in purple that was thicker yarn and soft and fuzzy. I am keeping this purple one for myself because I love how soft and warm it is.

The stitch pattern is easy to knit and uses a cable needle on the third round, but doesn't create a cable stitch. I tried making a pompom on the variegated colored hat using the largest pompom maker I had and the pompom still looks small to me. I need to find a larger size maker or create one myself, but not sure what size to use to make the size I want. 

The purple pompom is rather loose because I was trying to make a larger pompom and I used all the rest of the yarn I had left, which wasn't enough to give a firm pompom. Still I like the larger size better.

I photographed several views of the hats on the head model with and without a wig.

The ribbing band started with the 2 strands of turquoise held together while knitting, and soon changed as the colors changed while being knit.



Close up of the knit stitches.

The largest pompom maker I had made this pompom and I feel it is still too small.

You can see how the variegated yarn (with 2 strands held together) started changing colors and the look. 

Using a fuzzy yarn on this hat the stitches aren't as defined looking, but still gives it some texture.

My larger, but looser pompom.





The Camaraderie Beanie is designed by Sandra Saraswati. I like how she wrote the instructions for this hat. Some designers for knits write great patterns and other designers instructions can be so confusing. There is no standard way of writing patterns and so I love it when I find a designer that I can understand and follow without a problem. I got a few other hat patterns by her too, so I might be knitting some more hats, since I have so many skeins of miscellaneous yarn and you cannot knit much with one skein of yarn (unless it is a huge skein). 

Here is the photo from Ravelry that shows this hat knit by the designer. She added a fake fur pompom, which looks nice, but I couldn't believe how expensive those pompoms are when I searched online for one. They cost more that the yarn I used!

Photo above from Ravelry, shows the fur pompom which is a nice size pompom and the size I wanted to make using my yarn. You can also see how nice the stitches show on her hat here. Using the variegated yarn and the fuzzy yarn that I used on my hats didn't produce a defined stitch like using one color (not fuzzy). So I may knit another one in a yarn that will show the stitches the best. I am trying to work through using all the yarn I have, so I will choose a better yarn on the next one of these hats I knit.

Pin It Now!

4 comments:

  1. Those are cute!! The purple one is my favorite!! I like the fuzzy yarn you used!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are really pretty, I like the blue one because I like seeing the stitches. But the fuzzy purple is my color!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! I really admire your work. Btw, it's super easy to make fake fur pompoms. Trace a circle (6" makes a nice poufy one) on the back of a piece of fur. Cut out, being careful to cut only the backing to keep the fur intact. Then thread a needle with some strong thread and using a running stitch, gather the fabric backing of the fur to make a circle. Start pulling the gathering thread, but before it's tight pop in a little ball of polyfil, then pull tight, tie a knot. Voila!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Pix! I hadn't thought of using faux fur to make pompoms. That's a great idea! I might even have a piece of the fur that I bought years ago to make a teddy bear, but never made it. I did buy a large pompom maker online so will make more pompoms (hopefully better ones) when it arrives. I couldn't directly email you because you are a no reply, but I do so appreciate your comment.

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate every one. If you do not hear a reply back from me, it could be that you are a no-reply, or that Google/Blogger has changed something (again!) making it impossible to respond back to you. If you want a reply because you asked a question, please fill out the Contact Form located on the right side of the blog and I will respond to you that way. Thank you for stopping by! I was forced to add comment moderation due to huge number of SPAM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...