Monday, July 31, 2023

My Honorable Mention Framed Postcard from Wish Contest for the Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show (2023)

I made eleven postcards this year using the 2 challenge fabrics for the Wish postcard contest for the Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show. I posted the postcards a few months ago here on my blog. Later I was told I won an Honorable Mention for one card. Yay!!! Since I wasn't attending the show this year, I asked the woman in charge of the contest if she could send me a photo of my Honorable Mention and any others that might have been framed too. She didn't think others had been framed, but did email me a couple of photos.

It looks even better framed! What a beautiful frame they chose!

Challenge fabrics were the pink text fabric and the charcoal gray print.

She snapped a pic before any bids were placed. These framed postcards have a Buy it Now of $350 ($500 BIN if it was made by a teacher who was teaching during Quilter's Affaire, the classes the week before the quilt show), or $20 increment bidding ($50 I believe for the teacher framed postcards). The woman who emailed me the photos said as she could best recall, this postcard sold for $180. Yay!!! It helps the show and such a thrill for me to have won and honorable mention and to see my postcard framed too! 

I have had postcards framed before, but never won even an Honorable Mention before for my postcard. I have won a few times, including Best of Show for the Quilt Block Challenge, which is making a quilt block in the challenge fabrics (usually about 5 fabrics) and then the teachers cast their top 5 favorite votes and the winners are chosen from the top picks. The top block winners get more blocks (from the remaining blocks that were made) so you can make a quilt with the blocks. I just don't need any more quilts or UFO's, so prefer making the postcards now. 

Sisters Quilt Show will take any postcards made (4"x 6") and they sell them or some do get chosen to get framed too. No prizes for those, but it is a thrill if your card is framed, however you won't know anything about that unless you have a friend or someone who sees and takes a photo for you, if you aren't attending the show itself. If you use the challenge fabrics, there is 1st-3rd and Honorable Mention ribbon awarded and some prize for the top winners. Not sure what? They usually post about the challenge around February on their website showing the 2 fabrics and filling out a request form for fabric to make a postcard or more. You can request more than one set of fabric pieces if you plan on making more than one postcard. The money from sales of postcards (framed or unframed) all goes to support the FREE quilt show and for art scholarships to high school students. I am happy to help out even if I don't get to the show as often as I would like to.

If you want to start making postcards now using your own fabric, you can do that anytime. If you want to enter the challenge, then wait until they show the challenge fabrics on their website for next year and you see that you can request a set of the fabrics. Postcards for the contest need to be mailed in by a certain date, and other postcards can be sent in anytime up to a later date, which is all listed on their site.

Happy Creating!

Pin It Now!

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations! How exciting for you. Your postcard art deserved that price.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the achievement. Also nice that you were able to see it without being there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. whoops what happened. I was typing away when what i was writing disappeared. I was saying how much I love this postcard and it is really nice to have it framed. i have some of your handmade postcards that I ostensible bought to send to friends but i am too attached. maybe I'll frame some. i can't imagine what the ones that scored higher looked like. yours is beautiful and you should be very proud.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is awesome, Daryl! Congratulations. I think it looks awesome in the frame!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate every one. If you do not hear a reply back from me, it could be that you are a no-reply, or that Google/Blogger has changed something (again!) making it impossible to respond back to you. If you want a reply because you asked a question, please fill out the Contact Form located on the right side of the blog and I will respond to you that way. Thank you for stopping by! I was forced to add comment moderation due to huge number of SPAM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...