Friday, July 28, 2023

2 Bags I Made to Hold Thin LED Lightbox & Cord

When I was at The Dollar Tree a couple of months or so ago, I saw they had those thin LED lightboxes for $5, so I bought one to try it. I have a really nice large lightbox that I use at home and have had for about 25+ years, but I wanted something lightweight that I could take to me sewing get togethers if I was going to trace appliqué shapes onto fusible web. 

Then I thought I need to protect the lightbox in a bag and have a pocket for the cord and cord adaptor for plugging in. So I searched through my laptop/iPad/tablet patterns on the computer to see what might work as far as style, as I knew I would have to alter the measurements. Meanwhile, I showed my friend, Tara the lightbox I bought and she went and bought herself one too.

So I decided to make us each a carry bag for it. I found a tutorial for a tablet that looked like it would be what I needed, but I made changes and size adjustments. I started with making Tara's bag and when I placed the lightbox in(or tried to), I found it was just a tiny bit too narrow at the sides and needed more space height wise too. So, I had to do some ripping out. I added a strip to the bottom of the bag to give more height and then covered the seam with the orange rickrack, which actually added a bit more pop of color too. Happy fix there. I should have written down what I did to fix the sides, I made these a couple of months ago. I must have added to the side, but cannot remember exactly, lol! Whatever I did it worked. 

I gave the bag to Tara for her lightbox. She loves typewriters, so I did a typewriter appliqué on the front and used a batik typewriter key fabric and faux cork fabric.


I also have stamps that look like typewriter keys, so I created her name using that and fused them on and then lightly coated the letters to make waterproof and prevent unraveling around the edges.

I added 2 magnetic snaps for the closure, since this is a wide flap.

Bright orange lining.

The back side.

I quilted to sew-in fleece.

Since I had cut out a couple of the bees appliqué in making the water bottle bag for Tara, I thought I would use the bee on mine with a large flower too. Those bees were growing on me.

Batik fabric for the bag and flower.

The lightbox plugs into a USB port or use an adaptor to be able to use in a standard a wall plug. These fit into the front pocket with plenty of extra space to toss in some pens or pencils too.


Here is the view into the zipper pocket.

Quilted to sew-in fleece to add a bit of cushioning.


The lightbox on top. I added some bee duct tape to the top edge where the USB cord attaches, as the black strip at the top was pulling away when I would remove the cord. So I thought the duct tape would hold it more securely in place. 

View into the main lining.

I am pleased with how the bags turned out, although it took me a while to get the size just right. I thought enlarging it a certain percentage large would work, but not quite. I made so many other changes too, but I always do that, lol!

Happy tracing (with a lightbox).


Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. Daryl knows me so well, I love bees and typewriters. other things of course but currently those are my passions. I have also been on a big embroidery kick lately so this portable light box is perfect. The light box is a bit fragile so this case is exactly what it needed. Daryl did a beautiful job and she is so good about making it personal. this is why I love things that are handmade, it has my name on it in typewritten keys! I love it so much, 1,000 times thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea to make a cove for your portable light box. I've got to get to The Dollar Tree more often. I think I could use one of those! LOL How sweet of you to make one for your friend as well! Thanks for sharing with us on Monday Musings!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate every one. If you do not hear a reply back from me, it could be that you are a no-reply, or that Google/Blogger has changed something (again!) making it impossible to respond back to you. If you want a reply because you asked a question, please fill out the Contact Form located on the right side of the blog and I will respond to you that way. Thank you for stopping by! I was forced to add comment moderation due to huge number of SPAM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...