Sunday, July 23, 2023

H2O to Go Water Bottle Sling Cross Body Bag with a Honey Bee Appliqué (enlarged)

I made another H2O to Go, but this time I enlarged it to 115%, upcycled some denim pants for the body, and waterproofed the exterior by using Heat-n-Bond's Liquid Vinyl. 

My friend, Tara had worn out the regular sized H2O bag I made her a few years ago. She said she loves this style bag and mainly uses it as any cross body bag to hold her things and to have super easy access to the items she places into the open space meant for a water bottle. (No, she doesn't carry a HUGE water bottle around with her, lol). 

So, I thought I would try enlarging one for her and since she is a backyard beekeeper, I added the honey bee appliqué to the front zipper pocket. The bee helped to jazz up the plain denim. Before I started to sew the bag, I cut the pieces slightly oversized and applied the Liquid Vinyl (LV) according to the directions and let it dry and applied a second coat. Tara's first H2O was made out of quilting cotton and after a lot of use, it was showing signs of wear with some fraying at the base and was getting dirty. I thought the LV would really help with both and that denim was a tougher material too. This one will be a good test to see how much better and longer this version will hold up with the changes I made in the bag. I also decided to use gray webbing for the adjustable cross body strap because it would show less dirt and if it started to wear out, it could be easily replaced. 

This bag at 15% larger is approximately 12.5" High x almost 7" oval base x just over 4.5" deep.


Enlarging the bag allowed me to add a nice large bee appliqué to the front. 

I quilt the bottom bases of all the H2O to Go Bags. It helps to really hold the stabilizer in place.


I didn't have a large enough piece of yellow waterproof canvas for the lining here, which I was going to use, so used this lime green instead. I like the added pop of color the lime adds to the bag.


I used yellow paisley print for the lining inside the zipper pocket. I like to make 2 slip pockets, one with a pen pocket and then make a matching card wallet that can slip into a slip pocket. One pocket is for a phone. I used a bee print fabric inside too.



I used an iridescent fabric for the wings.

Here is the matching little card wallet I made to put into one of the slip pockets. I used the bee print and the gray denim. 

There are 3 pockets. Two for cards and the back one is deeper to put folded cash or more cards. I didn't use LV on the wallet.

I think enlarging it this to 115% for Tara was just right. It allowed it to be large enough without being too huge for her. I surprised her with this bag and she loved it, which made it all worthwhile.

I have 2 more custom H2O to Go bags that I made in June to share with you next another time. 



Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this bag!!! I use it exclusively and my classmates in bee school, yes I'm really in a two year program studying bees, are so jealous. i get compliments on it all the time and the increased size is perfect. Daryl your the best and very talented!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate every one. If you do not hear a reply back from me, it could be that you are a no-reply, or that Google/Blogger has changed something (again!) making it impossible to respond back to you. If you want a reply because you asked a question, please fill out the Contact Form located on the right side of the blog and I will respond to you that way. Thank you for stopping by! I was forced to add comment moderation due to huge number of SPAM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...