Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Large Retreat Bags in Blue Patchwork

I have made Retreat Bags before, both large and small and have added my own changes to the bags. I bought a dozen or so frames last year  from Emmaline bags for the large size, but these bags look just as nice without a frame too, they just look different. So I thought I would show you the look both with a frame and without a frame. The frame is the last thing that gets inserted into a bag, so if you prefer without a frame, just don't add it.

I made these two Retreat Bags by sewing strips together and then quilting the bag front and back. I added handles and pockets and a frame to the bag too. The basic bag is a free pattern from Emmaline Bags, which looks like a Dopp bag (with the frame), but I like to add handles and pockets to make it even nicer looking and more useful.

I used foam stabilizer to help the bag keep it's shape too. Some rings and rivets add to the look and function of the bag as well.

Using blues from my scraps bag of blue fabrics, I pulled out strips of all widths to sew together. This is the front side of the bag with the frame inserted.

Here is the same front side without the frame inserted. It looks wider at the top, but I like this look too.

Side view with no frame.

Back of bag without the frame.

Inside divided slip pocket.

Bag with the frame shows how wide it can open up. Like a nice big box.
Inside zippered pocket.
Without the frame, the bag still opens up nice and wide, but doesn't retain that box look.

Front of bag with the frame. The sides fold down and the zipper pulls don't stick out as much with the frame.

Here are the 2 bags I made. The bag on the right without the frame and the bag on the left with the frame so you can see the difference side-by-side.

Here they both are with frames inserted.

I made this second bag with blues and touches of green and aqua too. Here with the frame inserted into the bag.

Without the frame here.

The back of the bag without the frame.
Side of the bag without the frame.
Inside divided slip pocket.

Inside zipper pocket.
Bag wide open with the frame.
Bag wide open without the frame.

Do you have a preference for the bag with the frame or without the frame? I love them both! But when I use up all the frames I have, I will continue to make these bags without a frame. I make the small size without a frame because I didn't buy frames in small. 

I have added pockets to the front and back of the retreat bags I made before, but because these are patchwork, I didn't want to cover up the patchwork on these. I like to vary how I make these bags by adding pockets, straps, frames or not, and more. That way all of my bags are truly a one-of-a-kind bag.

Pin It Now!

4 comments:

  1. These look so amazing with or without the frame. I thought it was a small bag until I kept scrolling for the other pics. Beautiful job, Daryl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are gorgeous! I admire how focused you are on your bags! Wish I could zero in on just one thing like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    love the bag i'm not sure what i like better although i do think those frames are pretty impressive especially when your bag is open is a like a giant mouth being opened and you can really see whats inside. great job as always.
    tara

    ReplyDelete
  4. The way the handles are attached makes these look so professionally done - very nice, both of them!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate every one. If you do not hear a reply back from me, it could be that you are a no-reply, or that Google/Blogger has changed something (again!) making it impossible to respond back to you. If you want a reply because you asked a question, please fill out the Contact Form located on the right side of the blog and I will respond to you that way. Thank you for stopping by! I was forced to add comment moderation due to huge number of SPAM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...