Monday, September 2, 2024

Sew Powerful Purse #174 (2024)

A good friend of mine passed away about 12 years ago or so. I cannot remember how long it really has been? I was fortunate to receive some of her fabric and this Hmong reverse appliqué piece was one of them. I had no idea what to use it for so it sat and sat for years. I came across it recently and decided it should be made into a purse flap for a sweet girl in Zambia to have. My friend would have loved that I used it for a purse as she was all for empowering women with education. She was a teacher herself for deaf students. So I think she would highly approve that I made this purse to give to a girl to help her stay in school all year because it will be filled with her monthly hygiene needs. 

This purse was made with love by me and in memory of my friend, Gloria. 

This style of reverse appliqué is made by the Hmong people who mainly reside in Laos and Thailand now. All handstitched, it is truly a work of art.

Look at how intricate the stitching is on this Hmong reverse appliqué. Truly a labor of love and appropriate I should post this on Labor Day.

flap up showing purse front
This purse was made using upcycled denim jeans.

back of purse with slip pocket
I added a slip pocket on the back.
Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. That reverse appliqué is just stunning. Our guild had a speaker once who talked about how that kind of applique is done and passed around samples of small in-progress appliqué so we could see the steps. Super tedious is an understatement, but the results are truly gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is a great use of the reverse applique, i think it makes a fabulous flap, i like how you make the inside flap fun as well. great job as always

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate every one. If you do not hear a reply back from me, it could be that you are a no-reply, or that Google/Blogger has changed something (again!) making it impossible to respond back to you. If you want a reply because you asked a question, please fill out the Contact Form located on the right side of the blog and I will respond to you that way. Thank you for stopping by! I was forced to add comment moderation due to huge number of SPAM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...