Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Quilter's Meet & Greet 2019

Click Here.

Welcome to my blog on the Quilter's Meet & Greet Tour. The tour is hosted by Benita Skinner's Creative Space.

Some of you might follow me or have popped in for a visit from time-to-time, but I am sure there are a lot of you who have never heard of me before today (even though I have been blogging since early 2008). So let me introduce myself, I am Daryl (yes I am female) and I live in New Mexico and have been doing patchwork, applique and quilting since I was a teenager (in other words a very long time). About 9 years ago I got hooked on making bags (I test bag patterns for online designers too). I also like to knit and I do other sewing and crafts here and there as well.

What I have always loved about quilts (and bags too) is the colors and prints of the fabrics. I love color of all kinds, but my favorites are royal blue, royal purple and fuchsia. I love the rich colors of those colors, but I love all colors in quilts. My favorite type of fabric is batik because of the rich colors batik fabrics have. My favorite part of making a quilt or a bag is choosing the colors.

I do not have any kind of computer quilt program and when I make quilts of my own design, I tend to start with a basic idea I sketch on paper with a pencil, but once I start cutting and sewing I tend to create as I go. I always make some changes in quilts or bags if I do follow a pattern. A lot of times I might take elements from a lot of different places and use them in one quilt that I am making.

Here are a few of the quilts I have made and some of my favorite bags I made too. As you can see I love applique because I can get more creative with it.

I made this quilt as an Attic Windows Challenge at my quilt group. I wanted the owls to be looking in the window instead of looking out the window at a scene.

This was a pattern from Amy Bradley, but I reduced the size and added my own wording. Mostly batiks and I pieced the background out of my white and off white scraps.
This is called Prickly Pear, a pattern from Karen Stone. All done in batik fabrics.
Sunflowers in a Pitcher was made using batik and hand dyed fabric. I sewed a scrappy white border with a tiny orange square in the center of each scrappy border block.
I combined the owls from a table runner I made before this, with pumpkins, stars and a moon in the middle to create this round topper.
Here are some of my favorite bags that I have made:

Izzie Convertible Backpack from Around the Bobbin patterns.
The Allure Bag, pattern by ChrisW Designs that I made in a reduced size.
The Companion Carpet Bag (in blue batik) a pattern by Mrs. H.

This is the medium size Diamond Pouch, pattern by Moments Designs.

The Retreat Bag made in patchwork in size large, pattern by Emmaline Bags. One with the internal frame and one without the frame. I added straps and inside pockets.

Arabesque Bag made in patchwork. Pattern by Sew Sweetness.
I also have made some knits and sewn some bears.

I made Warren Bears in 2 sizes. I made these in velour fabric. This is a pattern from Shiny Happy World.
Socks I knit for hubby.
Chicken Pincushion with selvage pocket wings. Video tutorial by Gingercake.
Hand knit shawl using yarn that I dyed myself. Herald Shawl/ Scarf, pattern by Janino Kallio.
Now that you have met me and have seen the kind of work that I do, I hope you will drop by again for a visit.  Please be sure and stop by and meet and greet other bloggers. Be sure and leave a comment at each blog stop and you will be entered into a giveaway.

Thanks for dropping by and do come again.

Click Here.


Pin It Now!

21 comments:

  1. I love your 'Material Girl' quilt, Daryl, but my all time favourite is the one displayed with your photo on Benita's site - the 60's quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are very creative for sure from quilts to socks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your fun and cheerful quilts, especially that Owl! Great bags too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I've known you since the beginning of your blogging career! LOL!! It's always fun to drop in and see what you have been up to! I love your sense of whimsy and those bags you make are awesome!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I long-time follower, I love to see your work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun post. Love your creativity. The owls peeking in the window make me smile. Your creations are so pretty! Love those bags, and that chicken pincushion is so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so multi-talented. Everything you create looks great. That chicken pin cushion is just too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you showed other projects you like to work on too! Those owls are so sweet:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The owls are Outstanding. You are talented.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your creations. Nice to see so many of them at one time. Always go crazy over your bags. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a wonderful variety! It's nice to meet you on the blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't believe how many different things you do. I love those socks and those bears in particular.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome bags and really cute quilts, Daryl!! Thanks for sharing with the Meet and Greet. My favorite make has to be those little bears. They are SEW adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've always loved your quilts and bags. Thanks so much for sharing. I hope to knit some socks one day, just haven't gotten around to starting yet.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are sooooo creative!! All your Projects are Awesome! Thank you for sharing...& inspiring all of us :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow you are one busy girl! great job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the great eye candy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the fabric of backpack posted above.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The Material Girl girl project is wonderful! Thanks for participating.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bags, a chicken, a shawl and so much more, each one is amazing, we all need more hours in a day .

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate every one. If you do not hear a reply back from me, it could be that you are a no-reply, or that Google/Blogger has changed something (again!) making it impossible to respond back to you. If you want a reply because you asked a question, please fill out the Contact Form located on the right side of the blog and I will respond to you that way. Thank you for stopping by! I was forced to add comment moderation due to huge number of SPAM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...