Monday, June 15, 2015

My Block for the Quilt Block Contest

Several months ago I wrote about the annual QBC (Quilt Block Contest) where you receive some fabrics and create a quilt block and then the quilt blocks that are entered are judged by the teachers who are teaching during the week before the Sisters (Oregon) annual Outdoor Quilt Show. All of the quilt blocks are displayed at the quilt show and the winning blocks will have a ribbon pinned to them. This year's fabric line was designed by Tula Pink and Tula is also one of the teachers. You can see the 7 fabrics here.

I had a hard time trying to figure out what to create. These fabrics were a challenge to me because they were all nearly the same tone and nothing really popped. I decided to do something a bit abstract. I used a flexible curved ruler to draw some shapes and fused the shapes onto the gray background fabric. I thought it would be fun to use a lot of my decorative machine stitches. While I like these stitches, the only one that really showed up was the satin stitch design and in hind site I really should have used more dark colored embroidery threads to make the stitches pop more and to give the block some dark tones, which it lacked.

The deadline for turning in the blocks is today, June 15. The judging will be about 5 days before the quilt show in July. The top winner will receive $50, some fabric to complete the quilt top, and a number of the the non-winning blocks. There will be a few honorable mention winners, who will receive the same things, except no money. I am not sure how many blocks were entered this year, so the number of blocks the winners will receive will depend on the number of blocks received overall and then they divide up the non-winning blocks to give to the winners. Have to wait until July to see what top blocks won.

Here is the block I entered for this year's contest:
My block entry was abstract.
I used decorative machine stitches and some hand embroidery stitches too.
I added several buttons for embellishment.
The turquoise satin stitch pops the most because it's darker and a thicker stitch than the other stitches. I should have used more satin stitches like this one.
Using the alphabet on my sewing machine, I embroidered :Sisters" on one corner of the block.
On the opposite corner of the block, I machine embroidered "2015".
  Pin It Now!

25 comments:

  1. I love this block, Daryl. There's so much to look at - makes it interesting and looks fabulous. I rather like it all in the similar tones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it, Daryl! It's a crazy-crazy patch block. Love using all of the decorative stitches. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanie! Since you have an email other than gmail, I didn't get this in my inbox and don't have your email to reply to you directly. I'm glad you like the block I created.

      Delete
  3. Wow Daryl! As usual, you have created something so unique and fascinating! I simply love all the movement and the special embellishment touches. It wins first place in my book for sure!!!! Now I'm itching to go play with my machine stitches to see if I could do anything half so fun :*)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that does look like a group of difficult fabrics to create a quilt block with. Your block is total fun-ness! I love that we can do crazy patch quilting with our machines. I remember my granny stitching for hours on crazy patchwork quilts sewing the decorative stitches all by hand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd say you met the challenge very well. Your block turned out really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this block and hope it wins

    ReplyDelete
  7. Daryl this is a really fun block you have created and I wish you Good Luck in winning. I like how you added Sisters 2015 to commemorate the occasion. Creative Bliss and June JOY...

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, those are challenging colors to work with. You did an amazing job and its your attention to detail that I hope will help you win. good luck, I love your embroidery and added buttons.
    tara

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG the intricate details make this so special. I wish you the BEST of LUCK! Way to go New Mexico!!! Linking up from Sew Many Ways blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Karen. Since you are a no-reply, I couldn't send you a personal email.

      Delete
  10. You've made a crazy quilt block! I love it! The curves, the stitches, the buttons, the circles... I love them all. Everything is harmonious and I think you chose well the colors of your thread. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too love your creative play time here!!! It's sure to get many ooohhhs and aughhhhsss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See...the buttons add such a great dimension. THanks for sharing at TUesday Archives.

      Delete
  12. This is beautiful! I love the mix of colors and patterns--and the embroidery, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow what a pretty block. I liked how you used all the different stitching. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you're in with the winners.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A pretty and interesting block.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How fun. I like this kind of art quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How fun. I like this kind of art quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This block is very pretty, and I think it is even more pretty because the colours don't pop. The embellishments you used were the perfect addition, they are the pop :) How did your block go in the contest? Surely it got a mention.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate every one. If you do not hear a reply back from me, it could be that you are a no-reply, or that Google/Blogger has changed something (again!) making it impossible to respond back to you. If you want a reply because you asked a question, please fill out the Contact Form located on the right side of the blog and I will respond to you that way. Thank you for stopping by! I was forced to add comment moderation due to huge number of SPAM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...