Sunday, June 7, 2015

Dakota Tablet~Nook Clutch

I had knit a cover for my Nook a while back, but I wanted something more cushioned and easier to take the Nook in an out of. The knit cover is like putting a sweater on someone else, so you have to fiddle more with getting it on. I found lots of tablet and iPad patterns/tutorials online for free and I know I could have designed an easy pattern myself too, but after looking around I decided to try the Dakota Tablet Clutch by Swoon. It's a free pattern. Since my Nook was a bit smaller than the clutch instructions, and the instructions even tell you to reduce the pattern size if your tablet is smaller, I did reduce the pattern to 80%. I wanted to make sure I had enough wiggle room and so I didn't want to go smaller than 80%.

A few of the pattern pieces didn't print completely though. They were cut off and even though you were supposed to tape some sections together, they didn't match up correctly, so I had to improvise. I added the decorative strip to the clutch, although in hind site the strip on the back seems pointless as it really doesn't show, but I liked it for the front. If I ever make another one, I would only add the front strip. I think I would also add a pocket on the back for storing my cord if I were to make it again. All in all I do like how this turned out and my Nook is happy in her own pretty clutch.

Oh and the pattern calls for using a magnetic snap, but in a previous post about testing a wallet for Christine, I explained I couldn't use my twist lock closures because they were missing the rivet parts. Well I decided I would take a chance and test using the twist lock closure on this clutch. I figured I could sew the twist part to the bag like I would sew those old snaps that have several holes. It worked and since this was my first time installing a twist lock I learned a few things. I don't think I will use the twist lock where I have Peltex because it's too thick. I will try a twist lock with fleece or foam stabilizer instead in the future.


The back of the clutch and the handle. The accent strip is rather pointless to add here as it's not seen much.

Lacking rivets, I sewed the twist lock part in place with embroidery floss and lots of stitches to make sure it was secured in place. The stitching doesn't show at all when the twist lock is closed.
Pin It Now!

14 comments:

  1. Wow Daryl, pretty clutch! And so nice presented on the pebbles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine. I am happy with it and so is my Nook!

      Delete
  2. Great projects! I pinned this and your wallet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diana. I enjoyed making them both. You are a no-reply, so I couldn't email you.

      Delete
  3. Hi Daryl,
    Love this clutch for the device and pretty fabric:) I hope you are well.
    Hugs,
    Norma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norma! I still can't get your comments except here on my posting. Blogger isn't allowing certain emails to come through anymore, darn it.

      Delete
  4. Lovely fabrics you have sewn into your Nook protective cover. I like how you sewed the twist lock with stitches instead of rivets however I agree you don't need a large bulky closure on a tablet. June JOY...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do like the accent stripe on the back, so it's unfortunate that you don't see that part as much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this and must try it for my self too. Aren't you afraid that those metal tist lock will damage your Nook?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maartje. The Twist Lock doesn't touch the Nook at all, so it wouldn't damage it. I couldn't email you a reply because you are a no-reply. Hope you return to read this.

      Delete
  7. This is a great little pouch for your Nook! I've been meaning to do one for my Kindle....one day. :) I like the accent strip on the back, but you're right, it's not really needed. Thank you for linking up to Main Crush Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful pouch. It turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As usual, love your fabric choices and crafts[woman]ship! Too bad about your twist lock sets, although they're not a lost cause. I bought some very similar looking ones and luckily they did not need to be fastened with rivets.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous! I love your fabric choice, too! Thank you for sharing this week at the Talented Tuesday Link Party!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate every one. If you do not hear a reply back from me, it could be that you are a no-reply, or that Google/Blogger has changed something (again!) making it impossible to respond back to you. If you want a reply because you asked a question, please fill out the Contact Form located on the right side of the blog and I will respond to you that way. Thank you for stopping by! I was forced to add comment moderation due to huge number of SPAM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...