Friday, December 19, 2014

Flower Blocks

I made one of the flower blocks for the DOD Mystery Block Swap (Quilter's Garden) and it came out okay, although the measurements are a bit larger on one side then they are supposed to measure and I am not sure what happened. I also had some trouble with marking the correct angles of some of the pieces and so I didn't make a matching opposite block because I screwed up the marking and cutting. I decided to try again and this time I had trouble with the center cupping like a mountain! I pressed it and it was better but not perfect. So don't worry I will be keeping that one. I finally figured out that with the cutting and sewing and re-cutting and sewing that my measurements must have gotten thrown off with each step. I was going to just give up and not bother with making any more, but decided I should try to just sew the triangles together and not make the inner spin pieces which would have involved more marking, cutting and sewing, and that I obviously am not be doing very well. I liked making these and they came out the correct size. Since these 2 blocks are different from the flower block choices that we could choose to make, I will keep them for myself. Anyhow here is what I ended up making~

The block above is the block I am swapping. 
This block came out cupped in the center! Arg. So I will keep this one.
I didn't add the center fabrics on this and the other block to keep it simple. This block was easier to sew and get right for me. I added a folded flower with a button for the center. I will sew those on after the quilt is completed so it doesn't get in the way of the quilting.
This is the opposite color placement.
Both side-by-side.
The folded flower with button and apparently the thread of the fabric got in the photo too, lol!!!
  Pin It Now!

8 comments:

  1. great project and photos D-
    Are you still doing the weekend link party?
    Leeanna at not afraid of color lapaylor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leanna. Did you know you are a no-reply? You must have Google+, so you need to check your setting every so often.
      I stopped doing the weekend link party because I didn't want to pay inLinkz and for some reason I could not get into my account with them unless I upgraded which meant I needed to pay a monthly fee.

      Delete
  2. these are adorable but I am not surprised you had trouble with the size, there is a lot of cutting and odd angles on these blocks. They look amazing, it makes me think of spring, great colors. I like how you made the center its a nice variation from a yo yo.
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very colourful and fab-looking despite your issues! (Actually, what you describe reminded me of the challenges I had when I was making my hat - except that with a hat, it's not really a problem for it to peak in the middle.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are absolutely, stinking cute!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - I love your flower blocks Daryl!!! Very colorful and almost fragrant :*)
    Merry Christmas to you and yours my friend!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are all so pretty but my favourite one is the first one. They look pretty complicated to me. I've made much simpler blocks and have had problems with sizing so I know what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are really pretty. Love all the colors

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate every one. If you do not hear a reply back from me, it could be that you are a no-reply, or that Google/Blogger has changed something (again!) making it impossible to respond back to you. If you want a reply because you asked a question, please fill out the Contact Form located on the right side of the blog and I will respond to you that way. Thank you for stopping by! I was forced to add comment moderation due to huge number of SPAM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...