Thursday, August 8, 2013

Nap Mat for my Grandson

My grandson is starting school in a couple of weeks and needed a nap mat. Since he is a tall boy (already 4' tall), the nap mats my daughter had seen were all rather short. So I said I would make a nap mat for him, making it longer and wider than the ones we saw for sale, plus I added  pillow too.  He loves it and is using it at home until school starts.
Here is the nap mat all rolled up. I appliqued his name using the Alphabet letters from my Alphabet Quilt pattern. The exterior fabric is a canvas-like fabric. I added a handle to carry it too.
I sewed the pillow in place so that the whole thing stayed together. I added a tab with a Velcro closure so that it's easy to roll up and close. The green fabric is a soft velour. I used 4 layers of a thick polyester batting to add some cushioning to the mat. So it's like a thick quilt.
The pillow I made by making a muslin pillow form and stuffing it with fiberfill, then placing the form into the velour pillowcase. I stitched the pillow to the mat and when he gets grows, he can flip the pillow up to allow for more room. 
Partially rolled up here. 
   Pin It Now!

8 comments:

  1. How lucky he is..All the other kids will be so jealous...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great Patchouli Moon invention !

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great nap mat. I'm sure you've all taught him well that being different is a good thing. You might get orders from all the other Moms!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! I love this Daryl and what a great way for him to start school with such a fantastic nap sack from grandma!!!
    Hugs
    Norma

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is really cool! Nice job :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the nap quilt. it was a stroke of brilliance to add his name. Kids lose so many things and with his name on it everyone knows its his. I like the fabric you chose as well. Your alphabet pattern has come in handy for me countless times, its a fabulous pattern.
    tara

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is gorgeous. He's a lucky boy to have you as his gran. I love how it's so portable too. Great to take anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so darn talented!! Another inspiring project!!

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thank you for stopping by to comment. If you do not hear back from me via email, then you are a no-reply and I cannot reply because you do not have your email address listed in your settings. I do appreciate every comment. Thank you so much!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...