Wednesday, July 27, 2022

2 UFO Quilt Blocks Become One New Project

Hello friendly aliens near & far, welcome to my day on the UFO Blog Hop. Thanks Joan (of Moosestash Quilting) for hosting this Far Out blog hop. 


I knew I had a lot of UFO's (the unfinished objects kind) that needed to get finished and a blog hop is a great nudge to get er done. So I grabbed the UFO that didn't need too much finishing to add and I finished it. 

I made 6 of the 9 Retro Flash Blocks when they first came out on Suzy's Artsy-Craftsy Sitcom. (I still haven't made the BBQ guy and the Poodle Skirt and the Gasoline ones). I loved making these blocks, but wall space is very limited in my house to hang up quilts, so I thought about what I could do with some of the blocks I had already made and I decided to make a desktop computer screen dust cover. I knew I needed a cover as my screen gets very dusty! So the only blocks that would work were the ones that were set horizontally, as the vertical ones would be too tall. 

I made this computer screen dust cover 2-sided and added a handle in the center to grab onto it easily. It could also work to make a sewing machine cover like this as well, but I already have plenty of sewing machine covers that I have made over the years. 

Here is my computer screen dust cover:
These are two blocks joined together with sashing in between the blocks and borders and I added a handle for easy grabbing.

The Bowling block.

The Drive In Movie Block. (Oh drive in movies were so fun in the summer evenings in California)!

I placed this on the back of an outdoor chair so you can get the idea how it works on my computer screen. The chair back is slightly curved though.

And the other side over the chair.

Lighting isn't as good inside, but here it is over my computer screen.

And the other side over the computer screen. Don't you love my purple keyboard and mouse? When I saw they made these some in colors and with white keys, I had to get it because my all black keyboard had lots of the letters worn off from so much typing, lol! Plus black with gold letters on black keys was hard to see (and boring too). I love how easy this keyboard is to see all the letters, numbers and symbols and the keys to type on are quiet as well as easier to type. So a win-win-win! Amazon sells them (not an affiliate) if you are interested. I also like the shorter keyboard (doesn't have the separate number on the right side), so it is more compact and fits better on my table.

Now please go visit the other bloggers to see what UFO projects they all came up with.

Here is the complete blog hop list:

Pin It Now!

22 comments:

  1. This is the cutest dust cover that I have ever seen! Very clever and fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute cover! I made one for my computer a few years ago. They really do help, and are really stylish too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I saw the pic, I thought oh that is so cute. Then I saw the handle in the middle and wondered what that was for? Then I kept reading. What a clever idea. I have never seen or thought of that before. You keyboard is cute too. You can get a clear keyboard cover with no letters on it just to keep yours clean and the numblers clear. I wear my letters off very quickly! LOL That was a real surprise post for me and I loved the flashback blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How bright and cheerful your dust cover is, Daryl! It’s a great idea to help keep your screen clean. I lOVE your clever idea of the handle to simply lift the cover off easily. Even for a sewing machine cover. Those retro designs make me think of the Jetsons. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your blocks and what you have done with them. I downloaded the patterns myself and had big plans, but so far they are just stored in my computer. LOL!! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a clever use of those whimsical blocks. OMG a purple keyboard and mouse, how fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One would think after I wrote about my problems with Serial Starter syndrome I'd be too hard at work on my UFO pile to want to start something new; but your cute blocks sent me off to see if the pattern is still available!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great use of those adorable blocks! And your purple technology is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love, love, love, those blocks, and like Rebecca, I feel like I need to add those to my UFO pile. Great idea to make a computer screen cover with a handle. The purple keyboard is so cool! Thanks for sharing this wonderful finish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea to make a dust cover with those blocks! Adorable, and I like the handle too, and purple keyboard! Thanks for sharing this great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cute and clever way to use those adorable blocks and keep your computer screen cleaner!! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are really cute blocks, Daryl, and you sure figured out a good way to use them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Daryl! What a cute idea. I think I actually need to make one of these myself. Hmm. Now to figure out what should be on the cute/smart/reversible fun project. I'm PINning this for the future. Thanks for the idea!! {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Darly, these are super cute locks, and your dust cover makes a body smile. I love the bright colours and the whimsy. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  15. I absolutely love your applique 50s designs. Your choice of colors look authentic to the era and really make it. I also like how you incorporated your border fabric into the designs tying it all together. What a perfect way to incorporate blocks into a usable project and perfect to place on your computer screen. That is precisely why I made a sewing machine cover as well. If I leave the light on, it just attracts too much dust.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is so cute I am glad you finished it

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's an excellent idea and one that lots of us could use. Thanks for helping make UFOs special.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great idea to make a computer dust screen!! And to use 2 UFO blocks - it's a win-win situation!!! Thanks for sharing your fabulous idea!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Daryl using those blocks to make a computer dust cover is sheer genius. I, too stated making the quilt blocks but life got in the way and I didn’t finish it. Instead I made notebook covers with them and sent them off for Christmas hampers since they were so cute. Thank you for sharing. I need to see if I have any orphan blocks 😆 to make a cover for my Mac now!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great idea! Double whammy - using up some UFO blocks and creating a dustcover - fabulous. I should probably use some UFO blocks for a machine cover or two!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the idea of a screen cover! Great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great idea! And two very cute blocks to use too - I like that it's reversible

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate every one. If you do not hear a reply back from me, it could be that you are a no-reply, or that Google/Blogger has changed something (again!) making it impossible to respond back to you. If you want a reply because you asked a question, please fill out the Contact Form located on the right side of the blog and I will respond to you that way. Thank you for stopping by! I was forced to add comment moderation due to huge number of SPAM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...