Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Prickly Pear Cactus Flowers

I went for a walk yesterday morning and the prickly pear cactus flowers were closed because it wasn't warm enough outside.

Closed prickly pear cactus flowers.

I went out later in the early afternoon and most of the flowers were all open and the bees were buzzing from flower-to-flower. The flowers range in color from yellow to a pale apricot color.

I just love this shade of yellow and how delicate the flowers look amongst the thorns of the cactus.

This is a cholla cactus and the buds are forming.

Closer look at the cholla cactus buds. These beauties will bloom into the prettiest shade of fuchsia.
I gathered prickly pear cactus apples last year and made a dye for dying some wool yarn. I also made a second dying which came out pinker. I knit this vest in the lighter yarn that was dyed from the cactus juice.
Pin It Now!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Daryl, Beautiful, I will have to show my son. He is studying these at school and he will enjoy the pictures:) Have a fantastic Day!!
    Hugs,
    Norma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are beautiful flowers! I never appreciated the beauty of cactus plants until I visited west Texas and went to a museum in Alpine Texas at Sul Ross University. There is a cactus garden in front with hundreds of different kinds. It was really an education to me. Your vest is beautiful, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful cactus flowers. I also love the knit vest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos. I noticed some kind of flowering cactus Sunday on my way home in front of a restaurant. I need to stop and take some pictures. It's bright yellow and redish flowers. It's really pretty.
    Thanks for sharing yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Daryl, I love the purple color you got with your prickly pear dye. My friend gave me a bag of tunas leftover from her jam making. I was wondering how much fruit you used in your dyebath to get that color. I have been fermenting wool in my dyebath for over a week and it is a pretty color, but it is not purple - it is a dark rose/pink. I only had about 16 pears to work with. Tonight I prepared Tara powder and made a tannin rinse for my wool. So far there has been no change in color..I read somewhere that a tannin post mordant helped the prickly pear to be more lighfast/colorfast and should bring out more red, but I don't know what website said that. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Julia in Sacramento, CA

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thank you for stopping by to comment. If you do not hear back from me via email, then you are a no-reply and I cannot reply because you do not have your email address listed in your settings. I do appreciate every comment. Thank you so much!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...