Monday, May 22, 2023

Genevieve Bag in Batik Fabrics

Genevieve is back now with updated sewing methods and FREE video tutorials too! I tested the updated version of Genevieve recently for Christine of ChrisW Designs and so glad that I did! I missed testing Genevieve the first time around when Christine first designed this bag (must have been busy with something else), so this time Christine added her magic to update Genevieve.

For one week you can grab the pdf pattern on sale for 20% off (no code needed)! 

You can choose the plain flap or the piped flap. While I chose to make the "plain" flap, my Genevieve is anything but plain, lol! She is a cross body bag with a gusset, an adjustable strap, phone pocket, front pocket, inside zipper pocket, inside slip pockets and pen pocket. I got creative with the flap and made it by piecing scraps of batik fabrics, then quilting it and adding buttons, a handmade label and some crystal embellishments too. Isn't she pretty?

I decided to go even scrappier by making the front and back of the bag out of 2 different batik prints and colors. The front pocket is another color and batik print. The gusset another batik print and the strap is a combination of the fabric used for the front, back and gusset sewn together to create the strap. I did use all one green print for the lining though.

You can make Genevieve with a plain flap (like this one and yes I know the way I made this flap is not really plain), or the other flap choice is adding piping to the flap and other areas of the bag.  

I had such fun creating this one-of-a-kind Genevieve. So here is my version of Genevieve:

Isn't she gorgeous? I just love batik fabrics!

I added lots of bling to the flap. Besides quilting the flap in a variegated thread,
 I added a Handmade Label, round buttons, a butterfly button, and crystals.

This is the back side of the bag and I used this pretty batik for the back.


The side of the bag showing the gusset batik print. I topstitched around the gusset, which isn't called for in the pattern, but I think it not only looks nicer, but adds some strength to the gusset too.

This is the bottom of the bag and it is quilted on the bottom of the gusset.

Lift the flap and you see the front slip pocket in a hot pink batik. You can see the flap stays closed with the magnetic snap.

Peeking inside the front slip pocket is a slip phone pocket too. My pen is holding this pocket open so I can take a photo of it.

Here you can see the phone pocket inside the front slip pocket too. I added some rivets on the upper corners of the phone pocket.

The lining is a green batik fabric that has 2 large slip pockets divided in the center with a pen pocket. I also added some rivets in the corners of the pen pocket.

On the opposite side of the lining from the slip pocket is a large zipper pocket.

Another closer look at the flap.

Back of the bag with the flap pulled straight up.

Genevieve measures 14" wide x 11" high x 3" deep. She is a large girl, but not too large. She is great for when you need to carry more than just a few items. She would be great to take on vacation when you need more space to put things.

Pdf is on sale at 20% off this week only, with free video tutorials too. Watch the video and grab the pattern on sale. Or grab the pattern now and then watch the video. It's so easy to sew along with Christine and it's like she is your sewing buddy as you make this bag.

Happy bag sewing! 

Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. Your bag looks fantastic with lots of storage spaces. Love all of your bright and happy fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome bag, Daryl! Of course, I love the batiks too...and the bling!!! You are a great bag maker. Everything looks so neat.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate every one. If you do not hear a reply back from me, it could be that you are a no-reply, or that Google/Blogger has changed something (again!) making it impossible to respond back to you. If you want a reply because you asked a question, please fill out the Contact Form located on the right side of the blog and I will respond to you that way. Thank you for stopping by! I was forced to add comment moderation due to huge number of SPAM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...