Sunday, January 29, 2023

Sew Powerful Purse #6

Hello Selvage lovers, here is my next purse that I made to donate to the Sew Powerful Purse Project using selvages. I love using selvages and have already sewn about 10 more purse flaps using selvages laying them out in different design patterns, so I just need to pick a fabric for the body and lining and cut them out and stitch them up later.

This purse flap started by cutting a hexagon in the fabric of African women (that was donated to me) and then I sewed the selvage pieces around the hexagon. I upcycled denim blue jeans for the purse body.

When I have a bit more fabric on the selvage it allows me to add a few buttons as embellishments and mimics the dots on the selvage edge. Since a lot of the selvage strips were given to me, sometimes there just isn't even enough fabric left to even sew it down. So if you want to use selvages to make something of your own, leave at least 1/2" of the fabric part + the selvage itself showing, but better yet cut it a bit larger up to 1" of fabric showing is ideal as you can always trim it down if you desire later. 

Side view showing gusset.

Inside I used a solid blue fabric.

An added denim slip pocket I sewed on the back, but I added the heart appliqué first. A sweet surprise on the back of the purse for the girl who receives this one.


Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. you really know how to make the most of fabric you fussy cut, looks fabulous

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate every one. If you do not hear a reply back from me, it could be that you are a no-reply, or that Google/Blogger has changed something (again!) making it impossible to respond back to you. If you want a reply because you asked a question, please fill out the Contact Form located on the right side of the blog and I will respond to you that way. Thank you for stopping by! I was forced to add comment moderation due to huge number of SPAM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...