Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Prickly Pear Quilt Top

I made the blocks for this top several years ago. I actually made an extra 2 blocks for some weird reason (maybe I can't count, lol!). These blocks got buried in a pile of UFO's for years. I have no idea if I had a plan with the extra blocks or not. I decided these blocks needed to be put into a top and the extra blocks I can use for something else. This is a pattern by Karen Stone, called Prickly Pear, which is perfect since prickly pear cactus grow here. I think this pattern must be out of print now.

I used batik fabrics for the prickly pears and a commercial black cotton and purple cotton for the background fabrics. I machine blanket stitched with variegated threads on some of the shapes and solid colors on others, to sew the applique pieces in place. This is a positive/negative quilt block. You have to be careful when cutting the shapes out, because you mix the shapes up so that you have different fabrics on each block. I found this to be fun, although a lot of work too. Now I just need to quilt it.




Pin It Now!

5 comments:

  1. Pretty! I love the colors! I think the positive/negative would have driven me batty and I'd probably have a weird looking quilt, haha--but yours is so neat and bright (as always).

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow great colors and I love the images you used for your p/n blocks. I've never made a block using that technique I assumed it was difficult. Its so vibrant it practically shimmers. great job I can't wait to see how you quilt it.
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Daryl and I can't wait to see how you quilt it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful piece and work. Lots of work it looks like

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thank you for stopping by to comment. If you do not hear back from me via email, then you are a no-reply and I cannot reply because you do not have your email address listed in your settings. I do appreciate every comment. Thank you so much!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...