Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Quilted Potholders

I made a couple of potholders for an online contest. I didn't win or even come in the top ten. I used batiks for this one.

This is the pocket side of the batik potholder.

This is the pocket side of the second potholder.

I used scraps leftover from my Diagonal Madness quilt (see posting below).

Pin It Now!

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Diagonal Madness Quilt Progress

I had to add the inner pink/purple border, since my calculations were off and the 9-patch border didn't fit exactly. Sometimes those "design opportunities" end up better than the original plan. I need to quilt and then bind this quilt.
Pin It Now!

Friday, February 11, 2011

Iron Caddy

I made this iron caddy during a class at my quilt guild. It looks like a cute little bag that holds my iron when folded up.

When it's all opened up, it converts to an ironing surface.

When it's time to go home. You place your iron on the caddy and fold it up. See the first photo above.
The pattern for this is from Sisters' Common Thread and is called the Caddy Pad Pattern Plus.

Pin It Now!

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Mug Rugs

I made a set of mug rugs to give as a gift to a woman who likes the color green. I used mostly batik scraps with a couple of handyed scraps. After making the table runners (see previous postings below), several mug rugs and a potholder in batiks and handyed fabrics, why is it that I still have scraps? I guess scraps just multiply like rabbits! I have a ton of commerical print fabric scraps too, but I thought if I used up the batiks first, I would use those next. Problem is that when I cut a backing fabric and binding to use for these projects, the leftovers from the backing and binding now become my new scraps and thus I am feeling a bit like a doodlebug with all  these scraps. At least I am making useful items and I do like the end results too, so that's a good thing.
Pin It Now!

Saturday, February 5, 2011

My Newest Quilt: Diagonal Madness

I started this quilt called, Diagonal Madness, which is a Kaffe Fassett design. Kaffe was actually inspired by seeing a Mary Mashuta quilt. It's 4-patches set on point with setting triangles and a 9-patch border. The quilt in the book is quite a bit larger than this one I am making. The following photos show my progress so far. But after sewing it all but the border, I found out that I made a goof! I didn't figure this size correctly and now my border won't fit. So with some help from my math-competent husband, I may be able to do add an inner border and more 9-patches to make it work...I hope. It sure will beat ripping out and since these rows are sewn on the diagonal, the ripping would be more of a nightmare! I think this is why I enjoy making applique quilts so much more!.
Blocks, setting triangles and 9-patch border laid out on my "design floor".
All sewn. Next step is adding the 9-patch border. Well, since the border doesn't fit properly because of my mistake, I will need an inner border first.
Pin It Now!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...