Saturday, February 24, 2018

Nesting Baskets

Lisa of Around the Bobbin just released her set of 3 Nesting Baskets pattern. I was also a tester of these baskets. These baskets are easy to make once you get the hang of it and with 3 sizes to choose from you can make several for all your needs and they make great gifts too. Plus it is  great way to use up fat quarters of fabric! I made one of each size and will be making more of them when I get a chance.

Lisa's instructions are excellent and she chose the perfect interfacing to create these baskets. I did a bit of experimenting on mine, so I will mention what I did when I get to that basket photo. The pattern in on sale for a very short time, so grab it while you can and save 25% off the pattern price through Monday Feb. 26 by using the code NEST25

To give you more inspiration and see how these baskets look in different fabric, check out the testers versions here.

Here are my baskets~

This is the small size, which is still quite roomy inside.

Small basket.

Small basket from the side.



Small basket.

Small basket empty.

Medium basket.

Medium basket showing the side.


Using the stripe fabric made the folded sides automatically have mitered corners, which was a fun surprise.


The medium basket size holds 4 large cones of thread to give you an idea about size.


Inside the medium size.



Top view.

On the large basket I tried using one-sided fusible foam (Flex Foam). Even with a lot of pressing afterwards, it left a bit of wrinkles on the fabric. I would not recommend using the foam, at least not the fusible kind. It stands up nicely, but I prefer Lisa's interfacing choices instead.

Inside the large basket. This lining fabric is a fabric that was from my mom's quilt shop from the mid 1970's! My sister mailed it to me last year. I had some of this fabric in a blue colorway and had forgotten about this yellow/orange colorway.

Instead of adding fabric handles (which you can add to any of the basket sizes and are included in the instructions), I made a Kumihimo Handle instead of fabric. Kumihimo is Japanese braiding.

The side of the large basket.

I added rickrack and French knots around the top of the basket because either the thread I was trying to use to topstitch was not stitching well or my machine was starting to have some tension issues right at the end of making this basket, so I had to get creative, lol!

All 3 sizes nesting inside of one another.

Papa, Mama and Baby size baskets.


Don't forget you need to act quickly if you want to get 25% off the pattern price for the Nesting Basket pattern, using code Nest25. Discount good through February 26.
Pin It Now!

5 comments:

  1. It's so great to have you as a tester, Daryl! Your baskets look fabulous. I'm in love with those stripes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute nesting baskets. You chose great fabric prints and colors for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. these look amazing. i love the way they stand up so nicely. As i was reading i was wondering if you used flex foam but you said that didn't work well so i'm really curious what did work? i love the combination of the inner and outer fabrics. i like that you mixed and matched fabrics differently with all 3 sizes. They are adorable.
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful fabric baskets for fun, stashing or just plain organizing. Lovely fabrics and the Kumihomo handles are an extra treat. Daryl you are an excellent tester for any pattern designer. Creative Basket Bliss...<3

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can never have too many fabric baskets, and good to try another design. Interesting that the flex foam didn't work as well. Love the addition of the large ric rac.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate every one. If you do not hear a reply back from me, it could be that you are a no-reply, or that Google/Blogger has changed something (again!) making it impossible to respond back to you. If you want a reply because you asked a question, please fill out the Contact Form located on the right side of the blog and I will respond to you that way. Thank you for stopping by! I was forced to add comment moderation due to huge number of SPAM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...