Monday, December 18, 2017

Wool Sunflower Pincushion

A good friend sent me a kit for my birthday last month of a wool sunflower pincushion. She knows I love sunflowers and (coneflowers too). I made this right away, but had been so busy posting bags for the Bag It Linky that I joined in on, that I hadn't had a chance to post this pincushion. Oh and by the way I found out I won a prize for the Bag It, a fat 1/8th bundle from Green Fairy Quilts. So I am looking forward to receiving it. The fabric is autumn colors.

I do love and use my pincushions. I made several of them myself and have been gifted with some too. I have one on my cutting table, one on my ironing table, one next to my sewing machines, one in the zippered pouch with all my sewing tools that sits on the table next to my chair when I watch TV. Plus lots of other little ones in other bags that I take with me to my groups, etc. I have all sizes and shapes of pincushions too. They are so handy and do make lovely gifts for sewing friends too. (I still use that little square wool pincushion you made for me years ago too Susan :0) Thank you for this sunflower pincushion kit Susan! I love it.

Here is the pincushion with a few pins added. I stuffed the pincushion with ground walnut shells, so this is weighty too. I finished it differently than the kit instructions too. The instructions wanted you to make a muslin liner, but I have never done that with wool pincushions before. The beauty of wool is that the wool (and the walnut shells too) will condition your pins and needles and I love wool for pincushions because the pins and needles also glide into it nicer. 

The leaves from the trees were on the ground and this pincushion looked perfect set on top of the leaves.




The back of the pincushion is a green wool herringbone. The color is really much richer than this photographed. It is more of an avocado green. Looks paler here.

Pin It Now!

9 comments:

  1. Congrats on your win! (You've been so busy with the bag making.) Great job on the pin cushion, and it's interesting that you mention the walnut shells because I discovered this past summer that my pins had been getting dull by not being put into a pin cushion like this. So yours is lovely and useful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOohoooo congrats on your win, Daryl - I won as well (a gift certificate from Zipit!) :) Your sunflower pincushion is sweet - I like walnut shells as well, for the weight. I don't like a pincushion that I can knock over just by reaching over it :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely wool pincushion with Sunflowers. Congratulations on your fabric winnings. Merry Christmas Blessings...<3

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful, Daryl, and your stitching looks perfect. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yahoo and congrats on the win. That pincushion is too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you can never have enough pin cushions, I love this sunflower one its adorable and love your stitching. Congratulations on wining the fat 1/8th bundle I can't wait to see what you make with your winning fabric.
    I find a weighted pin cushion to be useful for holding down patterns and it makes me happy to look at them around my craft area. This one is great, thanks for sharing.
    tara

    ReplyDelete
  7. That adorable pincushion makes me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I finally had a chance to stop by. I love this pincushion! Walnut shells are great for pincushions - I always have a bag handy. Congrats on your prize - a nice way to end the year. Merry Christmas, girl!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate every one. If you do not hear a reply back from me, it could be that you are a no-reply, or that Google/Blogger has changed something (again!) making it impossible to respond back to you. If you want a reply because you asked a question, please fill out the Contact Form located on the right side of the blog and I will respond to you that way. Thank you for stopping by! I was forced to add comment moderation due to huge number of SPAM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...