Monday, January 16, 2017

My Sewing Room Re-Do

Hello readers I have my newly updated and organized sewing room to share with you. A few years ago Mr. P built me a huge sewing table with the idea I would be able to sew and quilt on that table. It worked well for a few years, but I ended up piling more and more stuff on the table; like my scissors and bobbins and presser feet, and more because I had no place to put them. Well Mr. P. is very organized and doesn't like a lot of stuff and it drove him crazier than me that I had so much stuff around me. So we started brainstorming ideas to make my small sewing room more functional for me. We talked about finding some cupboards and drawers from the home improvement store in the kitchen department that he could attach to the walls. The only issue with that is the drawers for the built-ins were too deep. That would mean piling stuff on top of stuff in the drawers, which would end up becoming a big mess. So I continued to look at Pinterest for ideas and did Google searches.

I ended up stumbling upon a flat filing cabinet that was a Martha Stewart Living design at Home Decorators online. Apparently Home Decorators is a Home Depot Company. They have a lot of great looking furniture for every room in the house too. (I am not an affiliate.) We had to take measurements and see what would fit and work in my small sewing space. I have a few sewing machines, 2 were in tables and I needed one more table for the machine I use a lot that used to be in the table Mr. P. had built that he took apart. So I got another table first (ordered that table from Amazon..not an affiliate). The flat filing cabinet would work on one wall and the apothecary hutch would fit on top of the hutch and that would store most of my sewing supplies that I used the most. The narrower drawers even came with drawer dividers that can be divided in 2 configurations too! But I needed something else closer to the machines and found the 4-drawer rolling cart, which is perfect for my bobbins, presser feet, and more and I can roll it closer as needed.

Mr. P. had to build all the pieces first, because they are shipped flat and they are heavy! He knows how to build stuff, so it wasn't too hard for him, but I would have no chance if I had to do it by myself. He ran into a couple of issues with the drawers. He needed to shim them so they would glide smoothly. He also screwed the drawer dividers from the bottom in a few places to keep the drawers more rigid in the large filing cabinet. I was putting my thread in one of the narrow drawers and it started to sag from the weight. That's when he decided he needed to add the screws for support. I also decided to put my thread in the smaller bottom drawer.

I am thrilled with my new improved sewing room and the furniture looks fabulous and works well for me. I hope I can keep things tidier now! I also rearranged my cutting and ironing room to make it nicer too. So without further ado, here are my 2 rooms, both the before and after photos~

Before shot when part of the room was empty, except for my stuff piled up on the floor.
After with my wheeling drawer cart in between 2 of my machines.
After photo with my serger and another machine on the floor. What can I say, I love all my machines!!!

Another before photo.
Before photo with mess piled up in anticipation for redo.

Before photo.

Before photo.

Before photo.

Before photo.

After photo of my new flat filing cabinet and hutch.

After photo.

After photo of one sewing machine with drawer cart.

Now onto my cutting and ironing room that I reorganized~

Cutting table and rulers.

Ironing table.

My fabric, computer (need to stand more, so put my computer on top).

Cutting table.

Pin It Now!

15 comments:

  1. Wow! What lovely spaces to create. I love the flat drawers and the hutch. I could spend hours in those rooms...just admiring the eye candy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous place to sew and spend your time...love it! That hutch and flat drawers is a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great space to work and be inspired, Daryl! I took your re-do tour then I went back to take a tour of all the delights hanging on your walls. ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful space to create in Daryl! It truly looks like a happy place. Your new flat drawer cabinet is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Daryl I have read and reviewed your new creative space at least 6 times today. I love how you have organized each station. Your hubby is very handy and what a sweetheart to build your furniture. I LOVE that flat drawer cabinet. I also enjoy seeing your wall decor. The color aqua is lovely. Happy Artistic Bliss. XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks so beautiful and is very efficient to use. You had a wonderful vision and you did it! I love the furniture and with your added quilt decorations its just fun to be in the room. Its quite inspiring. May you enjoy many more years of creativity in your wonderful space.
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Daryl! Your studio makeover looks fantastic. It's a wonderfully creative place filled with inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful room! I am sure you are full of new creativity when you walk in your studio.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love that filing cabinet/hutch-lucky girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Daryl, Love your reorganized spaces! When will you come to AZ and do mine (tee hee)? I actually love being organized, but need to find some storage things that would fit in my space. Yours looks really inviting and functional!! I just got an industrial machine that made me move a few things around...unfortunately some items are still stashed in a spare bedroom until I figure out the best set up for me. I especially like the rolling 4-drawer cabinet...that might fit under my cutting table (an old dining table that I have raised up to make a more comfortable cutting height while standing). Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks awesome. I really need to something like that. My room is a mess
    I keep trying but never quite succeed

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate every one. If you do not hear a reply back from me, it could be that you are a no-reply, or that Google/Blogger has changed something (again!) making it impossible to respond back to you. If you want a reply because you asked a question, please fill out the Contact Form located on the right side of the blog and I will respond to you that way. Thank you for stopping by! I was forced to add comment moderation due to huge number of SPAM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...