Sunday, January 31, 2016

King Size Mondrian Quilt Top

I pieced this king size quilt top in a couple of days, but probably won't get around to quilting it for a while. I have to be in the right mood to tackle something this large under my sewing machine. I used turquoise, green, aqua, blue and purple batiks that I already had. Some of the batiks I used I found in my scrap bag, but most were fat quarters and half yards that I already had. I made this quilt in a queen size a few years ago for my son, but only used scraps for his quilt in any color batik I had. You can see his quilt here. This quilt is called Mondrian and it was in a book that I borrowed years ago from the library and I cannot recall the title or the authors of the book. The library doesn't have this book anymore. I am sure it must be out of print by now too. I hope to have this quilted and on my bed by next winter.
batik quilt top
Mondrian quilt top on my king size bed.



I bought 2 queen-sized wool battings about 10-12 years ago and I guess I was waiting for the right quilt to make to use it. I decided that batting finally needed to be used, so I made the quilt top, then had to piece the batting together to make it large enough. I found a perfect 108" wide backing fabric online in flannel and I don't need to piece that, yay! This flannel backing is from Fabric.com:
from Fabric.com
The color in person looks more like minty green though, but it still goes nicely with my quilt top, since I have various shades of green, turquoise, aqua, blues and purples in my quilt top.

Pin It Now!

16 comments:

  1. It's beautiful Daryl! I love the colors. Blue is not a favorite for me so I have to see it in a very lovely way to like it. You've made me like it...a lot! I love all your quilts you have hanging too. You must dream about quilts every night with all that beautiful inspiration lulling you to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such delicious batiks!!! I love them all playing together like that :*)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I imagine that was a lot of work, wow! Love those batiks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This quilt top is truly beautiful and I love the colors and batiks. The backing will be divine with this top. Your bed will be so happy to have this lovely quilt adorn it. Quilting Bliss Dear...

    ReplyDelete
  5. That quilt is beautiful and so much work. I love it. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks wonderful in your room. What's interesting to me is that often when something is made out of just batiks it can look overwhelming. You balanced your colors just right to make it show off the batiks without overwhelming the overall look. Using batiks alone is not as easy as you would think. its a simple pattern which works perfectly. My hat goes off to you for even thinking about quilting it yourself.
    great job
    tara

    ReplyDelete
  7. your quilt is very beautiful! batik is my favorite fabric, though the kind that I use is different from yours. the authentic batik is handmade - drawn,painted and washed by hand, so each piece is unique.
    I've never make anything of this size - or half of it, haha...you're such a dedicated quilter! what a great satisfaction when the quilt is done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So beautiful! As are the quilts on your bedroom walls!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! What a beautifully decorated room you have! All those quilts warm the atmosphere, I'm sure.
    And your quilt on the bed is beautiful. I would have though that using so many different batiks would be too much, but, as always, you mixed the colors cleverly. And your backing is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Daryl. I love how your bedroom walls look like a quilt gallery. This new quilt is gorgeous and it ties the other beauties together very nicely. The fabrics and colors in the Mondrian quilt are so serene.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love batiks and this quilt is so beautiful! I agree, your bedroom looks like a quilt gallery and i6 would be so wonderful to wake up there every morning, already filled with color and inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This quilt makes me long for warmer weather by a lake with my feet in the water. I've never used wool batting due to the cost, but I'd like to try it sometime. Be sure you give us your opinion when you tackle this beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful quilt Daryl and your bed room is so neat!! Looks like both of us like being surrounded by our quilts! I have a king size one for our room and like you I'm waiting to get in the right mood to quilt it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate every one. If you do not hear a reply back from me, it could be that you are a no-reply, or that Google/Blogger has changed something (again!) making it impossible to respond back to you. If you want a reply because you asked a question, please fill out the Contact Form located on the right side of the blog and I will respond to you that way. Thank you for stopping by! I was forced to add comment moderation due to huge number of SPAM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...