Tuesday, July 7, 2015

How to Turn Your Child or Grandchild's Art Into a Treasured Quilt

I wrote a tutorial that is free on Craftsy, about how to paint on fabric with crayon pastels. (See sidebar with my Craftsy patterns). I wanted to share another thing that you can do after learning how to paint on fabric and that is to preserve some of your children or grandchildren's art by turning it into a quilt.

First, take a drawing from a child and enlarge it if desired. Follow the instructions from my tutorial on how to paint the fabric. You can paint the entire quilt, or make fabric appliques for some of the larger pieces if you desire. Stitch the appliques in place using any stitch that you desire, or wait until you are ready to quilt the piece and just quilt the appliques in place.

My grandson loves books my author Mo Willems, especially the pigeon series. He is always drawing pigeons in the style of Mo Willems without even looking at the book. He was at my house the other day and grabbed a paper and pencil and drew this pigeon:
I enlarged this drawing my grandson drew in order to create the quilt.
He also drew this drawing that my daughter had on her refrigerator. I asked to borrow it so I could scan the drawing and enlarge it a bit in order to create another quilt.

After you have appliqued (if desired) and painted your child's drawing onto fabric, then just layer with batting and backing and quilt as desired. Add a binding to the quilt and a hanging sleeve on the back. Or you can finish the quilt any way you desire if you don't want to bind it, you can sew it pillow style and turn it right-sides-out and press and then quilt so you don't need a binding. Embellish the quilt as desired. Below is my grandson's pigeon drawing that I turned into a quilt.

And don't forget to include a label for your quilt giving the child full credit for the drawing, including the date it was drawn.

I hope you have fun making a child's precious drawing into a quilt so that the parents and child can treasure it for many years to come. I hope my grandson will hang this quilt in the room of his child some day and then tell his child the story behind how it was made. Enjoy!







Pin It Now!

9 comments:

  1. That is so cool! Good thing I don't have any grandchildren making drawings for me or I'd have to take up quilting - LOL! Glad to see you're "back in business" - hope your arm is recovering well with no ill side effects. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very thankful your arm is healing and allowing you to be creative. This drawing of your Grandson's is very cute and how smart of you to preserve it in fabric and turn it into art to hang that should last generations. Heirloom treasures with your HeArt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable, Daryl. I'd love to do this. You've given me lots of ideas. Pinning. Hope you are able to do more with your arm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love this idea. I think I'll l ook at some of my son's artwork and see what I can make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like this Denise. You are a no-reply, so I couldn't email you.

      Delete
  5. This is a great tutorial Daryl! I love this idea and love the idea that one day your child's children may have it hanging in their rooms. Rather than hope your child will tell the story of the quilt, why not do that with a label on the back -- perhaps with a picture of your child on it at the age he was when he drew the picture. This way all the details are not lost to time no matter who winds up with the quilt in the future.

    Thanks for sharing this one at Val's!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your grandson's drawing make me smile and laugh Daryl. What a wonderful thing to do with children's drawings! I have to go check out you tutorial, as we will soon be grandparents too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great way to honor children's art! I once had my young daughters draw some quilting lines on what would be their quilts but this is so much more obviously theirs. Visiting from Val's Tuesday Archives.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate every one. If you do not hear a reply back from me, it could be that you are a no-reply, or that Google/Blogger has changed something (again!) making it impossible to respond back to you. If you want a reply because you asked a question, please fill out the Contact Form located on the right side of the blog and I will respond to you that way. Thank you for stopping by! I was forced to add comment moderation due to huge number of SPAM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...