Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Quilt Shop Blocks

This month's block from the Quilter's Garden BOM/swap are quilt shops. There were 5 quilt shop designs to choose from and I made 3 different shops (or should it be shoppe, since these are so quaint?). The shop names were cut from selvages from various fabrics. They worked perfectly for the names of the shops. If you want more info about this BOM/Swap, click on the Quilter's Garden Button on the sidebar.
This is the block I made to swap. The little quilt that hangs on the shop can be set on point like this or...
...set straight like this. Whoever receives this block can decide which way they prefer it and tack it place on the block.
I made this block and added rickrack with French knots on the gable end of the roof. 
I changed the windows to square on this block (and the one I will swap), I also cut the gable end with a curvy inside instead of adding rickrack. I did add red French knots. I will add a shank button for the door knobs of these shops after I make the quilt so it doesn't get in the way of the quilting later. Again I placed the little quilt on point here.
The little quilt on the shop is not on point like in the above photo. I am not sure which way I will place the little quilt. Perhaps one will be on point and the other not.
Here is another shop style. I had a few small quilt block stencils, so I stenciled this using Shiva paintstiks. I  added some embroidery by hand to enhance the stencil. I added some ribbon to the roof and added yellow French knots in the center of the flowers on the ribbon. This block got a bit wonky when I sewed it. Maybe it will look better when it's in the quilt and quilted. I hope so!
Here is another style of quilt shop. Again I added rickrack to the roof. Instead of a little quilt in the window, I fussy cut a sewing machine from a sewing notions print fabric.
Pin It Now!

5 comments:

  1. Ha! "Little Miss Sew & Sew" - love it! Your attention to detail is something else, Daryl. (Like I've said before, not a quilter but I admire those who can.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It takes a village...and these QuaintLittle Quilt Shoppe's are uber adorable. Sew precious dear...

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are adorable, Daryl. Can't wait to see the qullt when it is done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. these houses are adorable, I love the gabled roof and my favorite part are your little embellishments that make the house unique and makes them pop as well as your color choices. this will be an adorable quilt, you'll feel happy just looking at it.
    tara

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these quilt shop blocks especially the first ones. All your special embellishments were so neat. What a great idea to use selvages for the quilt shop names. I can see myself going around to my LQS looking at just selvages and buying 'whatever' just for the selvage!!!! lol I'm off to check out the BOM - I'm impressed with your blocks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate every one. If you do not hear a reply back from me, it could be that you are a no-reply, or that Google/Blogger has changed something (again!) making it impossible to respond back to you. If you want a reply because you asked a question, please fill out the Contact Form located on the right side of the blog and I will respond to you that way. Thank you for stopping by! I was forced to add comment moderation due to huge number of SPAM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...