Saturday, March 17, 2012

Itty Bitty Heart Twister Quilt

Okay I know it's Saint Patrick's Day as well as International Quilting Day and I don't have a green quilt to show you, but how about being a month late for Valentine's Day?
I made another twister quilt, this time a heart. After I made the Trip-Around-the-World twister quilt top see here, I received a comment from Diane who made an itty bitty one. So I looked at Diane's blog and saw she not only made a shamrock twister (perfect for today being St. Patrick's Day) but a heart twister too. I had to try the heart, although Diane's is even smaller than mine. All twister quilts start out as squares like this.

Then after you recut and resew they end up as tessellating pinwheels (the twister part). I didn't buy a pattern for this, I just looked at a few photos online and I could figure it out myself. I also made my own template out of a plastic lid from a can. I did have to draw around the template with a pencil and cut it out with scissors, since the template I made was not a thick plastic, but that works for me. I found this itty bitty size a bit challening to quilt because of all the thick seams being so close together. I did have some thread breaking and tension issues. I think for that reason I would start with a larger square for making the twister quilts and not make one quite this tiny again.

I made a Lil' Twister quilt out of Civil War reproduction fabrics that you can see here and a little one I have on my dresser here, although this photo is just the quilt top.
Pin It Now!

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful rich colours I love this Hugs Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE it! Wish I could figure it out... maybe in time. GREAT JOB!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That little twister heart is so striking. You are a very clever lady!
    Cath
    Bits 'n Bobs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! This has got to be the best heart little quilt I've seen. The twister effect is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. way to go making the heart twister. I just started laying out 3 1/2 inch squares for my next twister.
    I liked the itty bitty one but agree it's a little tricky with the seams-even pressing them open.
    they are fun to make though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the heart twister quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Daryl, so great Quilts made with the twister ruler, thanks for sharing!
    Bente

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to make one of these! I collect hearts and this is adorable! Perfect post to rejuvinate under our TUesday ARchives Twister theme! THANKS!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate every one. If you do not hear a reply back from me, it could be that you are a no-reply, or that Google/Blogger has changed something (again!) making it impossible to respond back to you. If you want a reply because you asked a question, please fill out the Contact Form located on the right side of the blog and I will respond to you that way. Thank you for stopping by! I was forced to add comment moderation due to huge number of SPAM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...